Archives vs Family Library vs mail in record requests

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Archives vs Family Library vs mail in record requests

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im a little confused about how to obtain documents. Ive been told, not just by people on this forum but others, to mail requests to vital records, or go to archives or go to that family search library. I was under the impression that they all have access to the same micro films.

So If I want an archived birth or marriage certificate do I contact vital records, request the microfilm or actually go to archives. Im confused who has what.

Alicia
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Archives vs Family Library vs mail in record requests

Post by VaDeb »

Alicia,

It depends on what you want and the purpose of the record.

If you need an official certified (with seal) birth, marriage or death you must order it from the appropriate gov't office. Some will accept walk in requests, other only by mail. NJ only does genealogy requests by mail and they are slow.

Some gov't offices will send older records to their archive and you can only get them from the archive. Some gov't office will also have a copy to send the offical certs. Some archives can certify copies.

FHL are copies of records that exist in other places. The FHL has gotten permission to film the records and make them available. Great source as you can have microfilm sent to you and check if a record is there for yourself. If you find something, make a copy and you will have the exact info to request the certified record. YOu can even send the gov't office a copy of the requested document. Now you should not get the "no doc found reply". It is usually much cheaper to search and print a record copy for yourself, rather than order it from an official source.

You have to research where records are located and how access is granted to the public to search, if this is even possible.

I have been to NJ archives. The microfilm there of BMD records are only available there. The years are on their website. Being able to search through years yourself when looking for a name that is often misspelled is often a good solution. You will then know you have throughly searched. No more wondering if some worker checked the record for one spelling. Did they look and see if alphabetical records are slightly out of order? Things happen. Some older marriage records are an exception to availablity. NJ is not a friendly records state as I believe you have found.

NJ is also adding some indexes to their website.

Debbie
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Does the FHL have whatever BMD certificates NJ archives or vital records have? I was under the impression that what NJ vital/archives has on their microfilm is strictly theirs.

Alicia
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

You are correct. FHL does not have NJ archive records. They do have some older marriage records.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I wanted to double check because I was thinking about getting a pro to help me. One of them lives out in Utah and she wouldnt be any help in that regards. So now I know I need someone with access to NJ archives. Thank you for the advice!

Alicia
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Alicia

Search here for "brujaojos" and send her a pm. She does research at the NJ archives. She does not post here as often as she used to, at least I don't think so.

Debbie
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Do you know of any other genealogists in NJ I could use. Being she doesnt come on often I'd hate to have to wait. Im anxious to get the ball rolling.

Alicia
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

If you search for her on this site, she has a website at the bottom of her signature. You can contact her that way. She may have her PM set up to notify her via her email. From the posts I have read here, she seems very competent and others have praised her work. I have no idea of what she charges for her private work. She has often mentioned the Philly and NJ state archives. Since she is familiar with NJ archives, that is why I recommended her. You may also benefit from getting all of your research together and explaining what you need. Sometimes another pair of eyes, familiar with available records in an area can suggest a new path that you may not have thought of.

Debbie
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Debbie,

I just found her website and sent her an email. Thank you so much for the recommendation? You've been great!

Alicia