COCOZZA PANETTA CAPALDI IN THE UK

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maenadpl

COCOZZA PANETTA CAPALDI IN THE UK

Post by maenadpl »

our grandfather, Giovanni (John) COCOZZA came to UK after 1901 and before 1911 Census, with his half or step brother with surname PANETTA.
They lived in Bristol, mainly the Italian quarter of St. James's, Montague St/Harford St. etc.. He sold bananas from a cart and was a street musician playing the penny whistle.
He married Winifred Roberts 1909 and 1st child, Reuben, was born at 5 Christmas Steps, Bristol. In January 1914 Giovanni's 3rd child, Violetta Coesestis, was christened; her godmother was CARMEL CAPALDI from Montague St. Relative or friend?
1911 Census Giovanni Cocozza wrote he came from Italy, Valle Z....(can't decipher word). Family myth always said he came from Caserta.
Giovanni served in Royal Irish Regt. in WW1, in Ireland, we believe. He died in Bristol in 1925 aged 37, had a horse drawn military funeral.
Any info/advice would be appreciated.
helen lewis, (newbie) maenadpl
stuartcapaldi
Rookie
Rookie

Re: COCOZZA PANETTA CAPALDI IN THE UK

Post by stuartcapaldi »

Hello Helen

I have both Capaldi and Cocozza names in my family tree. They are all from San Giuseppe, Picinisco and Vallegrande, Villa Latina. They are two comune and villages in the Val di Comino in the Appenine Mountains 15 minutes drive north east of Cassino.

Check out my web site www.capaldi-clan.com for furrther details of how I discovered my ancestors who emigrated to Edinburgh Scotland circa 1904
Stuart Capaldi
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

maenadpl,
Was your Grandfathers step brother called, Domenico Panetta?
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Error!
maenadpl

Post by maenadpl »

Thank you to Stuart, Jamie and Anna
Jamie - we don't know Panetta's first name; am waiting for marriage and death cert of Agostino and Maria Panetta who lived at 10 Harford St. St. James's, Bristol at the time of the 1911 census, with their 1y.o daughter Luisetta. I think these are our relatives as they were living at the same address as our grandfather Giovanni Cocozza and his wife and son Reuben, which would seem sensible if Giovanni and Agostino were half or step brothers.
Looking at 1911 Census under magnification it looks like they were from Valle Grande.
rgds helen (maenadpl)
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Helen, Sorry i sent wrong post above! Ignor!

I was meant to post:
Carmella married a Di Placido and moved to Detroit, USA.
Finding this out has also led me to find out her Mother, Pasquarosa had returned to Cassino, Italy.
If anybody has any info on what happened to Giovanni (john), Pasquarosa's husband, please leave info!
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

I not 100%, but i thinj Agostino Panetta married a Maria Castelluci in Southampton, 1904.
Maria died in Bristol, 1957 but i dont knjow about Agostino?
maenadpl

Post by maenadpl »

COCOZZA PANETTA CAPALDI IN THE UK - Hi Jamie; my, my you've been busy.
Thanks for yr msge Mar 16, can't find birth or marriage details for Maria Castelluci married to Agostino Panetta; am waiting for certificates & will advise.
Have just gone into ancestry.com; public family trees; found: "Possible? Bristol Italian Capaldi Family Tree" by "Capo78". Is this you? If not, check it - there are some beautiful photographs of Capaldi people including your great grandfather, the same photo as posted on your site here.
rgds, Helen (maenadpl)
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Hello, Yes Capo78 is me, 'Possible' means: everything beyond Giuseppe, 1860 and Marianna, 1863 is not 100% yet?!! Still investigating!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
maenadpl

Post by maenadpl »

Hi Jamie - thks yr msge.
Have u investigated connection between MARTELETTE (NB correct spelling) and Capaldi's. I still don't know if we are related but you are. Martelettes lived in St. James, Bristol. Mrs. Martelette ran a boarding house for Italian coal miners, I think in Montague St/Place. Our family (Cocozza)visited there.
Michael A. Martelette DOB 1941, 194 mother's maiden name: Capaldi.
Angelo A. Martelette, married in 1941: Evesham, Worcs. Josephine A. Capaldi. Josephine Alvera born 23 Oct 1921, died Feb 1991 aged 69.
Anita L. Martelette DOB 1942, DOM: 1967, maiden name: Capaldi.
Anthony L. Martelette DOB 1942. mother's maiden name: Capaldi.
John J. Martelette DOB 1947, mother's maiden name: Capaldi.
Carinne Martelette DOB 1953. Mother's maiden name: Capaldi.
John Martelette married "Klucy" Capaldi apr-may-jun qtr 1940.
All events except 1 Evesham were Bristol. rgds. Helen
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Klucy Capaldi was 'Lucy Capaldi', born in Dublin 1918, Daughter of Either Giovanni Carmino Capaldi or Orazio Lawrence Capaldi (not 100% Sure). (my gGrandfathers brothers).
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

I have viewed some microfiche's and found Agostino Panetta and Maria were witnesses of the marriage between Giuseppe Velardo and Maria Fionda.
My Capaldi Family were very close to the Fionda Family.