Looking for Help on Origin of Surname Lentini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jim2814
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for Help on Origin of Surname Lentini

Post by Jim2814 »

I would like to know the origin of my surname, LENTINI.

When my grandfather came to the US in 1904 he could not read or write, English or Italian. The ship manifes had his name as Vincenzo Lentini, which I believe was correct, but somehow over the years it evolved into Lentine. He came from Marsala, Sicily, leaving behind a brother, sister and mother.

I know there is an ancient town in Sicily named Lentini. Could there be a connection? I searched the Italian white pages and found no Lentines, which did not surprise me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Beaty

Re: Looking for Help on Origin of Surname Lentini

Post by Beaty »

Hi Jim,
My maiden name is Barraco, my father and his family came from Marsala to New york around 1915.
Maria Lentini was my father`s grandmother, she was married to Baldassare Zichitella.
I tried looking up my genealogy but wasn`t very successful at the time. I only know this through a cousin, Paul Ganci, now deceased.
Let me know if this is a help.
Beaty
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From the italian site:
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0010e.htm

LENTINI Di origini siciliane, deriva dal toponimo Lentini (SR). Esiste un ceppo secondario lucano, trasferitosi poi a Monopoli, si hanno tracce verso la fine del 1600 di un gabelliere daziario di nome Giovanni Battista Lentino, la cui famiglia acquistò poi nel tempo caratteri nobiliari, tant'è che nel registro della nobiltà del 1754 viene citato, a Monopoli, un Barone Giovanni Battista Lentini.

LENTINI . Sicilian origin, this last names comes from the placename of Lentini (Siracusa Province). It does exist a second branch of "Lucania" (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucania ), then moved to Monopoli (Apulia region), there are traces around the end of 1600 of a tax collector named Giovanni battista Lentino, whose family gained nobility, in fact int the Nobility Register of 1754 is mentioned, in Monopoli, a Baron Giovanni Battista Lentini

I hope the translation is pretty clear....

Laura
Jim2814
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jim2814 »

Thank you very much for the info.