Translation and apostille question please?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Translation and apostille question please?

Post by giannattasio »

Do I need to get translation and apostille for my ex-husband's birth cert and our marriage, divorce and certificate of no appeal records? I'm applying at the Los Angeles consulate.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation and apostille question please?

Post by CowryShells »

The Los Angeles consulate would be the best one to answer this question.

These documents are not necessary to prove your Italian bloodline, but as a citizen you are required to register these kinds of life events, including the birth of a child, etc., as part of your civil record.
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by giannattasio »

You can't ask the consulate these questions in advance because they don't respond to emails or the phone. It only says on the website that all the documents that will be filed in Italy must have an apostille but it does not say which documents those are. I'm getting my marriage and divorce records an apostille but I'm just wondering if I need my ex-husband's birth cert at all.
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

I wouldnt worry about having his BC translated or apostilled. You should bring it to the appointment, though. My application was submitted in LA this past September--none of my non_Italian docs (including my wife's BC) were submitted with my application, even though I had them all--they just looked at them ,and returned them to me. I also did not bother to translate or apostille any of the non-Italian docs as well.

Good luck.
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by giannattasio »

Thanks so much, exactly the information I needed. I'm going through my grandfather on my father's side so does that mean I won't need an apostille and translation for my mother's birth cert?
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

If your parents were married prior to April, 27?, 1983, your mother became an Italian citizen when she married your father. If she wants her Italian citizenship recognized, then translate & apostille her BC. If she is not interested, or was married after 4/83, then you do not need to translate & apostille her BC.
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by giannattasio »

Thanks, my mom is dead. How was your experience with the LA consulate?
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

Sorry to hear that. The people at LA are nice people, just have everything organized from your Italian ascendant in order to you, make copies and have a list of your discrepancies.

Buona fortuna.