Dual Citizenship...How Do I Look?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Countonme

Dual Citizenship...How Do I Look?

Post by Countonme »

Hi everybody,

Sorry to ask citizenship questions being a newbie. How do I look? My grandpa was born in Italy in 1885 and came to the US in 1920.

He signed a draft card in 1942 and passed away in 1986. He had 5
children. I can not find any citizenship or can not locate them on any census forms there is not many records of them except ship, draft, an death with a ss# 1954 to 1956 now I'm trying acquire the documents.

I can not even locate the marriage certificate yet. I hope to have that in a day or two

My grandma, I'm still working on. I think I'd located her. She was born in Italy in 1902 and came to the US in 1908. But it looks like she came with her brothers and sisters and no adults.

She was married before she met my grandpa. Her husband died, I think.
She married My Grandpa in the late 20's

My mom was born in 1940. And I was born in 1965.

So I think if I acquire the documents that I need, can I acquire dual citizenship?

I'm in California. Is there a long processing time?

Also, I heard, my grandpa was in World War I for Italy. How can I find out info about that? I'm really interested about that.

Thanks
Whitey
Countonme
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship...How Do I Look?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If he arrived anytime after December, 31, 1919, he would not have been included in the 1920 census, but you should be able to find him in the 1930 census.

Would you mind sharing with us your grandfather's full name and any other info you have? We are pretty good at finding things. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Countonme

Post by Countonme »

WoW You Guys are quick

I was looking at his draft card I could not find any info on status citizen or Alien. do you know if he became a citizen of the U.S

Alphonso Danastasio D.O.B 1/21/1895
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Okay, for starters, "Danastasio" is most likely not the correct spelling; this could easily explain why you are having difficulty searching. Possible correct spelling, "Di Anastasio" or "D'Anastasio". Both of these are in the current Italian telephone directory while Danastasio is not.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Countonme

Post by Countonme »

I'm not sure why I would call Italy right now. He married an Italian lady in Pittsburg, PA or maybe New York. I need to find the marriage date and certificate of his marriage. I found them online and he has a death certificate. But they are asking me for his dad's and mom's name in Italy. If it looks like I'm eligible, I'll make calls to Italy.

In Italy, this was his name: Alphonso D'Anastasio
In the US, Alfonso Danastasio.

I found the ship he was on, his draft record and the death certificate. I know his address.

And if I'm eligible, would the christmas and birthday cards that he sent me help? I remember every year he would send me a christmas card and birthday card with $5 in it. He never forgot me.

I was trying to find out if I'm eligible for dual citizenship before I start calling all over the world.

Countonme
Whitey
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The August 28, 1920 ship manifest has a notation written next to Alphonso's name, "6-34651 1/12/35". These numbers are here only because Alphonso began the naturalization process by submitting a "Declaration of Intent"; a Certificate of Arrival (number 6-34651) was issued on January 12, 1935. This would indicate to me that he submitted his Declaration of Intent sometime shortly before that date.

At this time, we can't say that he completed the naturalization process, but he definitely began it. Note, by the way, the typewritten surname - D'Anastasio.

I would suggest you go ahead and order an "Index Search" from USCIS ( http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD ), and then follow up with a "Records Request" once you obtain the C-file number from the index search.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Countonme wrote:I'm not sure why I would call Italy right now.
Sorry, that wasn't the intent. Many of us use the current telephone directory as a quick way to verify the spelling of names. If it isn't in Italy today, it probably wasn't there 100 years ago either.

Looking at the 1920 manifest, your grandfather's name is correctly spelled "D'Anastasio".
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

By the way, your grandfather began the naturalization process in 1935 and your mother was born in 1940.

This is going to be touchy ... I would say the odds are 60/40 (not in your favor) that he completed naturalization before your mom's birth.
Carmine

Countonme

Post by Countonme »

Thanks I have more info from this board in 20 min than I have gotten in three dayson my own.

It looks like I can slow down a little an get all the facts. one at a time it looks like I am not eligible. I will get all the info before I gave up.

Thanks for all your help
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Approximately where do you live? Your legal residence determines which Italian consulate you would submit your application at; each consulate has slightly differing documentation requirements.

Basically, you would need to obtain (at the minimum), your grandfather's Italian birth certificate, his marriage and death certificates. Your mother's birth and marriage certificates (also death if she is deceased), and your own birth certificate. And most importantly, proof of the date your grandfather naturalized (*after* your mother's birth), or proof that he never naturalized.

Unfortunately, the Christmas cards will not help your case. :)
Carmine

Countonme

Post by Countonme »

I live in San Francisco Ca. I think I could have all those certificates. The date my grandfather naturalized more than likely before my moms birth my mother's birth is the blocker. I will follow the link have to be 100% I am thinking he completed the naturalized process he was getting married soon around that time.

Countonme
Whitey
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The naturalization could go either way. My paternal grandfather filed his Declaration in May, 1932, Petition in October, 1934, and signed the Oath in February, 1935. My maternal grandfather's dates were June, 1938; November, 1941, and January, 1944.

You would be applying at the San Francisco consulate. Their basic requirements are listed here: http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/C ... tadinanza/
Carmine

Countonme

Post by Countonme »

The USCIS looks a little complicated and I want to send in everything correctly the first time. It looks like it's going to take sometime to gather everything I need.

Is there a way to do an unofficial check on naturalization records? Can I call somewhere or go into an office in California if I'm looking for records in PA?

If I have the following information:

Alfonso Danastasio
Alphonso D'Anastasio
1/21/1895
3/1/1986
Pianella, Italy South
Napoli D.O.A. 8/28/1920
6-346-51 1/12/35
SS#186-30-8859
649 Witittier St. PGH

I was just wondering why there is no record of marriage and home ownership since he bought a little house in Pittsburgh. Is there a way to find the obituary of my grandpa or find out which cemetery he is located in?

Countonme
Whitey
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Very few marriage records are available online; that is almost certainly why you cannot find one.

Instead of USCIS, you can try the National Archives. Generally speaking, they hold records only for persons who naturalized in federal courts, not state courts, but it doesn't hurt to try. Go to https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... lRefresh=1 and begin by creating a user account. Then click the the "Order Reproductions" link on the same page followed by "Immigration and Naturalization Records" on the next page. Enter the information you have; don't worry about the missing stuff - the archivist will almost certainly find the record (if it exists) based on the available info. The nice thing about the National Archives is they are generally much faster and less expensive than USCIS. The bad thing is they do not have actual Certificates of Naturalization and, as stated above, they do not have all records.

For death notices, I have had good success by contacting public library research desks and asking them to review newspapers in their collections. You have the exact date of death - good - but the death apparently occured in a large city - not so good (often more than one newspaper to search; obit possibly not published at all, etc).
Carmine

Countonme

Post by Countonme »

Thanks I am going to try that today