Piccini / Franzoni from Carrara

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dapiccini

Piccini / Franzoni from Carrara

Post by dapiccini »

I'm looking for my husband's family (Piccini) that I have traced back to immigrating to Vermont from Carrara, Italy. Most of his family is still in Vermont... but no one knows much about the Piccini's that came from Italy. What I know is that Harry Piccini (born around 1884) married Ida Franzoni (born around 1893)... --though the names could have been changed when they came over-- and that they were from Carrara, also Harry was a marble cutter(from the 1920 census).

I'm also wondering... if his name was changed (I'm thinking that there weren't a million Italian men named Harry around the 1880s), what might it have been before? Any suggestions? Please email me if you have any thoughts, ideas, or information.

Thank you, Deirdre Piccini
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Piccini / Franzoni from Carrara

Post by DeliBoy »

As you probably know, Harry in English is a common diminutive form of either Harold or Henry. The Italian forms of these names are Aroldo (like the Verdi opera) and Enrico (like Fermi the Nobel laureate).

Of course there is no guarantee that Harry chose his English name as a direct translation of the Italian. Sometimes people go with what is easy to pronounce rather than what is accurate.
dapiccini

Post by dapiccini »

That gives me a great place to try looking though... thank you so much!

~deirdre
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Deirdre,

I did take a look at the census. Does look like Ida made it to the USA before Harry?

Do you know if Ida and Harry married in the USA or Italy? Also, did they have siblings? They could be researched as well.

I think the Piccini and Franzoni(e)’s are researchable from the manifests... and because there are different name variations... it can be a little challenging.

There are a few Franzoni (manifests) from North Italy who were stone cutters... and maybe Harry Piccini was also from the north.

Carrara is in different parts of Italy... could you be more specific as to where?

There is also a manifest with a "Pacineo" and a Franzone traveling together but from South Italy.

A few of the Franzoni's also settled in Ga.

mfjp
dapiccini

Post by dapiccini »

Thank you for looking! My father-in-law only told me Carrara, Italy... thats about all he knows. I do know from the 1920 Census that Harry came over in 1909 and Ida came over in 1907, so I'm guessing that they were married here in the US, but one can never be sure.

I'm wondering what you mean by Carrara being in different parts of Italy, from what I understand Harry was from the Massa - Carrara area... but no one has paper proof of that.

~Deirdre :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

dapiccini wrote:I'm looking for my husband's family (Piccini) that I have traced back to immigrating to Vermont from Carrara, Italy. Most of his family is still in Vermont... but no one knows much about the Piccini's that came from Italy. What I know is that Harry Piccini (born around 1884) married Ida Franzoni (born around 1893)... --though the names could have been changed when they came over-- and that they were from Carrara, also Harry was a marble cutter(from the 1920 census).

I'm also wondering... if his name was changed (I'm thinking that there weren't a million Italian men named Harry around the 1880s), what might it have been before? Any suggestions? Please email me if you have any thoughts, ideas, or information.

Thank you, Deirdre Piccini
Hi: Harry sure is Enrico in italian;
more are this record:
IDA PICCINI born 24 Jul 1892 died Nov 1974 05701 (Rutland, Rutland, VT) SSN 008-52-4581 Vermont
regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

While Harry is a natural progression for Enrico there were two cousins EGISTO and ALFREDO from carrara going to Proctor Vermnont and born around 1884. Give the ships manifest a look see and determine who is who. Peter
egisto

Post by egisto »

hi, my name is egisto piccini, im in mexico, my grandfathers father was also egisto piccini they came to mexico from carrara, my grandfather name was egisto piccini arata, and his father was egisto piccini volpi, here in mexico we live like 15 people from the same genealogy, i hope i can help you in something, take care, egisto
fanny

Post by fanny »

egisto wrote:hi, my name is egisto piccini, im in mexico, my grandfathers father was also egisto piccini they came to mexico from carrara, my grandfather name was egisto piccini arata, and his father was egisto piccini volpi, here in mexico we live like 15 people from the same genealogy, i hope i can help you in something, take care, egisto
hola Egisto me da gusto saber de ti por casualidad y este medio soy Fanny..qué raro no? bueno cuidate mucho!!