Happy St Patricks day :)

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Happy St Patricks day :)

Post by BigVee »

I realize its a bit late in the day here with only 40mins left in the uk...but "happy paddys" day to all, :D ...
you dont have to be Irish to celebrate do you ??? :D
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Happy St Patricks day :)

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Big Vee, we're all Irish anyway, according to my extremely Irish husband!
How are you getting on?
Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

BigVee wrote:I realize its a bit late in the day here with only 40mins left in the uk...but "happy paddys" day to all, :D ...
you dont have to be Irish to celebrate do you ??? :D
I'm 1/4 Irish (actually a bit more), but you don't have to be Irish to celebrate it. Read this sign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Guinn ... y_sign.jpg

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Huge smile on my face here , thanks for that Squigy ... :) One of my friends is Irish and insists every one on the planet evolves from Ireland...bless him.

Hi Caroline, am doing good thanks , am just waiting on those micro films. During my wait i have been helping my friend trace her English ancestors, so far we have got back to 1870s....How are you getting on with finding out where your grandfather was born.
Genealogy is Addictive, Frustrating at times and fascinating , when i am more experienced i will attempt to trace back my mothers side, but i know thats going to be more than a challenge, with Prussian, Jewish and french (my nan) and Italian, English (my grandad)...when people ask my nationality i always say Heinz 57 lol..........
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Heinz, just ask if you need any tips on the other bits of the family - two heads are always good when you're stuck. I'm pretty good on the English records. Were your English people from London or all over?
Unfortunately I'm also blessed with being half Welsh so every single person is called William Willams or Thomas Thomas...
CC
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi Caroline, am just loving my new name :)..Thanks for the offer of help if i get stuck on my friends ill be asking...as for my family i think ill be needing " Divine intervention" :)...Just a thought did your grandfather get buried in London ??
Vee ,aka Heinz57
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Yes he did. He died in Aldgate in 1854, I have his death cert, but don't know where he was buried.
He was not a wealthy man so I have never expected to be able to find a gravestone.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi Caroline, i have sent you a pm :)
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Vee, I've never sent a pm before, did you get my reply to you?
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi Caroline ,
yes i did, i have replied...

Getting back to Paddys day...i found out via this site that St Patrick wasn't Irish ...its true you do learn something new every day :)

Vee
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

It was very decent of him to sort out the snakes though!
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

...St Patrick ? snakes? ....do tell me more , i must have missed out about the snakes.....
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

He drove all the snakes out of Ireland, apparently... will ask the husband, he's more familiar with all those stories, having grown up with them.
You know, the fairy rings, the children who turned into swans etc etc...
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Here you go Big Vee. Totally off topic, but now you know!
"Another tale about Patrick is that he drove the snakes from Ireland. Different versions of the story, tell of him standing upon a hill, using a wooden staff to drive the serpents into the sea, banishing them forever from Ireland.

One version says that an old serpent resisted banishment, but that Patrick outwitted him. Patrick made a box and invited the snake to enter. The snake insisted it was too small and the two argued. Finally to prove his point, the snake entered the box to show how tight the fit was. Patrick slammed the lid closed and threw the box into the sea.

Although it’s true that Ireland has no snakes, this likely had more to do with the fact that Ireland is an island and being separated from the rest of the continent the snakes couldn’t get there. The stories of Saint Patrick and the snakes are likely a metaphor for his bringing Christianity to Ireland and driving out the pagan religions (serpents were a common symbol in many of these religions)"
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Thanks Caroline... :)