Should I be a minor to be entitled for the citizenship...?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Borsalino

Should I be a minor to be entitled for the citizenship...?

Post by Borsalino »

If my father renounced his citizenship just recently from his mother, and I am 18/19 years old, could he pass it on to me?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Should I be a minor to be entitled for the citizenship..

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The status of your father today does not matter. If your father was an Italian citizen at the moment you were born, then you inherited that citizenship from him.

Just to clarify, were you born in the US or in Italy?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

here's the story... my grandmother was italian(at the time of his birth) and my father never renounced the citizenship, but now he wants to do so to give it to me... if he does now, could he pass it on to me? i wasn't born niether in italy nor in the u.s just for the record...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

We are not doing you justice by getting the story in small bits and pieces. You would get better advice if you told the entire story as completely as possible and all in a single message.

First, if your father was born before January 1, 1948, then he could not inherit citizenship from his mother. Before that date, Italian citizenship came only from the father. So, first question: when was your father born and in what country?

Second, your father does not have to renounce his citizenship so he can give it to you. Your father either was an Italian citizen on the date of your own birth or he was not - this is what must be determined.

Please, if you don't mind:

a) Where and when (year) was your grandmother born?

b) Where and when (year) was your father born?

c) Where and when (year) were you born?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Countonme

Post by Countonme »

johnnyonthespot wrote:We are not doing you justice by getting the story in small bits and pieces. You would get better advice if you told the entire story as completely as possible and all in a single message.

Your father either was an Italian citizen on the date of your own birth or he was not - this is what must be determined.

Please, if you don't mind:

a) Where and when (year) was your grandmother born?

b) Where and when (year) was your father born?

c) Where and when (year) were you born?
To the original poster:

You seem to be asking the same question over and over again to get to results you want to hear.

I would just give Johnny on the Spot the info. That's what I did and he cleared up 3 years of off and on research.

And for me, it's narrowed down to: if my grandpa became a citizen before my mom's birth. It doesn't look like the odds are in my favor but I know what I need to do and I want to find out one way or another so I can move on with my life and not have this dream of being a dual citizen if it's not going to happen.
Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

a)naples 1926 i guess
b)egypt 1960
c)lebanon 1991
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Okay, now we can see the great complexity of your situation. Are you still in Lebanon?

I can only speak from my personal experiences in the US and from what I know of persons who lived in a few other countries such as Australia and Canada.

As a general rule, you would need to supply the following:

1) Proof that your grandmother was born an Italian citizen. You would have to determine exactly where and when she was born and then obtain a copy of her Italian birth certificate.

2) Proof that your grandmother was still an Italian citizen at the time of your father's birth. I have no idea how you would accomplish this; in the US, Canada, or Australia, we would request from the government documents which show when our ancestor became a naturalized citizen or a letter which certifies that no documents exist. You would need this proof from Egypt (where your father was born) and also from any other country your grandmother lived in after leaving Italy.

3) Your father's birth certificate from Egypt.

4) Proof that your father never renounced his right to Italian citizenship. If he is still living, he can attest to this in writing.

5) Your birth certificate from Lebanon.

This is a greatly simplified example of the requirements. If you are still in Lebanon, you should contact the Italian Embassy in Beirut ( http://www.ambbeirut.esteri.it/Ambasciata_Beirut ) and ask their advice.

Good luck!
Carmine

Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

1) we have her italian passport and i guess her birth certificate too( proof that she is italian)
2) I'm not sure if she still was a citizenship at the time of his birth but we have her italian passport from the 1970's i think...
3) no problem he has that
4) we don't need it because it is my father who wants to get the citizenship first and then by that pass it on to me...

thanks for your help btw johnny you've been very helpful
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

If your grandmother's Italian passport was issued anytime after your father's birth, then that is perfect. It will be much, much, easier that way.

It seems that you are in a strong position. There is no reason why you and your father cannot apply together. This way, you both get approved at the same time.
Carmine

Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

Yes, but my father is insisting on correcting the legal family document I previously mentioned, before giving the required papers to the embassy and this is one of them... I am just concerned about this issue, will it matter if it is wrong? We cannot seem to correct it... will it be an obstacle in the process or after it? It is very complicated...
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

"4) we don't need it because it is my father who wants to get the citizenship first and then by that pass it on to me..."

I don't understand this response. Since your father was born in Egypt, and you were born in Lebanon, your father will have to prove that he never renounced Italian citizenship when your family moved to Lebanon. You (and he) will need to show that he did not naturalize in any country before 1992. If he did naturalize, he would have lost Italian citizenship and could not pass it to you.

Actually, if you can prove that the Italian line remained intact throughout the generations, you can apply as soon as you obtain the requisite documents. Your father may choose to wait, but you need not.

However, you should begin obtaining documents asap. You will have to prove that naturalization did not take place or that an ancestor naturalized after the birth of the next person in the line. Getting such documents often takes much time.
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

Borsalino-- I agree with mler. Get all of your documents now. You could always try to apply with what documents you have, and see what the embassy or consulate says about the discrepancy with your documents. You could always try to contact the embassy with your concerns. If you are living in Lebanon--I don't know if there is a large number of Lebanese with Italian ancestors like there are in the USA, Brazil, etc.--you might have an easier time to contact the embassy, unlike in the US where it is difficult to ask questions to consular officials, because they are busy with applications.

Only your embassy can tell you if you need to change your documents. If you do need to change the documents, you can always do that after your first interview with the embassy.

Buona fortuna.