Belmosto Family from Rosarno?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AlGregory

Belmosto Family from Rosarno?

Post by AlGregory »

My grandfathers name was Guiseppe Belmosto born 12 Jul 1884 in Rosarno he married my grandmother Concetta Fiorentino born 8 Dec 1890 in Calabria, Italy. They came to America and settled in the Brockton Massachusetts Area.
This side of my family history has always been a mystery. Even my mother Josephine didnt really know much about her family. I cant go back any further than this. Does anyone have any info on them. There was a rumer my grandfather was a policeman in Italy and that he may have been adopted. Any info appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Belmosto Family from Rosarno?

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Since you know your grandparents comune (town) of birth, you can write to the comune to request a copy of the birth and marriage records. This website will offer some information about Italian records
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... ello2.html
and this one will provide you with Italian form letters to make your request.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

OR - you can do your own research at the nearest Mormon Family History Center by visiting them, and renting the microfilm of records from Rosarno.
www.familysearch.org

T.
AlGregory

Post by AlGregory »

Thank You I will try that. Does Belmosto sound like a real Italian surname or do you think it was changed?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I could not find Belmosto on the Italian surname distribution map, and there were very few when I typed in Belmusto (they were at the tip of Calabria.

You may want to read about Italian names, and naming traditions here
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... names.html

Maybe someone can offer some insight into what the spelling might have been.

T.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Possible:

Bellomusto, Belmusto, Bellumusto

Laura
AlGregory

Post by AlGregory »

very interesting I never even knew his name was Guiseppe I found his draft registration card on Ancestry and his name was Guiseppe but he signed it Joseph. Thats how I found out he was born in Rosarno. His WW1 card listed Rosarno as his birth place. His WW11 card just said Italy. The whole family never talked about their life before America.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you also have this US Naturalization record for Concetta?

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6818 ... ncetta.jpg

T.
AlGregory

Post by AlGregory »

Yes thank you I found that on Ancestry. It was after my mother was born. Its one of the few things i was able to find
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Did your grandfather have a Social Security #? If he did, then you can write to the Social Security Administration and request his SS Application. On that you will find the names of his parents, and his place of birth.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm

The fee is $27 with a SS# and $29 without.

T.
AlGregory

Post by AlGregory »

I cant find the death record on Ancestry that would show his SS number.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

This is Concetta's info, but could not find Giuseppe. Maybe he didn't have one.

CONCETTA BELMOSTO 08 Dec 1890 Jul 1973 02402 (Brockton, Plymouth, MA) (none specified) 013-28-2072 Massachusetts
AlGregory

Post by AlGregory »

I hired an expert on Ancestry and this is what she found

I was able to find Maria Concetta's birth on the day she gave on her naturalization papers. He father was Natale Fiorentino, aged 35. He was a salesman or merchant. Her mother was Angelina De Simeone, a housewife. See attached records. You will also notice that Concetta's marriage is annotated in the margin. She married on 16 November 1907 in Rosarno, which is why the banns are included in the Second Part instead of the First.

From the margin annotation, and from the banns, we learn that Giuseppe Belmosto was born in Nicotera, but lived in Rosarno. He was 23 and a shoemaker. Considering that he was one of forty foundlings recorded at the end of the birth register for 1884, he was able to learn a profession. From his birth record, it appears that a woman named Maria Carbone found him and brought him to the authorities who then gave her Giuseppe to raise. It is possible that Maria Carbone was his mother or some other relative. There is no record of who his parents were. His surname is invented. It means "good grape must."Perhaps you know what that is, but just in case, it is the first pressing of the grapes, which contains not only the juice, but as the skin and seeds.

I next searched for the marriage record and the marriage banns for Concetta's parents, but it appears that they had no ties with Cropaleti other than their children were born there. Thus, we've hit a roadblock here as well. The only way to overcome this obstacle is to request their family status certificate, which should give us their birth places.
Concetta had three sisters born in Cropalati:

1. Rosa Carmela, born on 26 December 1883.
2. Celestina, born in 1885, but whose birth record is missing from the microfilming. Damaged? Lost?
3. Rosa Constanza, born 5 Oct 1888.
None of these had marriage annotations in the margin.

In my searching, I also noted a possible older brother named Vincenzo, but did not find his birth record.

Kind of sad I cant go back further than my grandfather who was left for garbage on the street :(
belmosto

Post by belmosto »

Post removed by moderator.
wldspirit
belmosto

Post by belmosto »

Mi dispiace se ho fatto qualcosa di sbagliato, per cui cercherò di nuovo "Belmusti". Guarda Gli ebrei in Sicilia.
Dovrò dire che mi hanno portato questo nome con onore, io credo in un solo Dio, ed egli mi ha dato questo nome "Belmosto". La questione non è se qualcuno ha fatto il nome in su, o se è stata data da Dio stesso, ma è il mio nome di famiglia e io sono fiero di esserlo! 8) J. Belmosto
belmosto

Post by belmosto »

belmosto wrote:Mi dispiace se ho fatto qualcosa di sbagliato, per cui cercherò di nuovo "Belmusti". Guarda Gli ebrei in Sicilia.
Dovrò dire che mi hanno portato questo nome con onore, io credo in un solo Dio, ed egli mi ha dato questo nome "Belmosto". La questione non è se qualcuno ha fatto il nome in su, o se è stata data da Dio stesso, ma è il mio nome di famiglia e io sono fiero di esserlo! 8) J. Belmosto
Chi era mia madre e in che modo siamo cugini?