National Archives in NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

National Archives in NYC

Post by carmine1917 »

Has anyone ever been to the National Archives in NYC to search for a Naturalization? I went and one of the volunteers searched online only! I can and have done this online. Any tips would be helpful.
mler
Master
Master

Re: National Archives in NYC

Post by mler »

If you have a general idea of when he may have naturalized, you may be able to search the microfiche records. I did this with the census but not the naturalization records.

When the volunteer searched the computer records, was it an actual online search or did they search their own data records? If the latter, it may mean that your ancestor did not naturalize within their jurisdiction. If the former, you need to specifically request that they do a record search for you. Try to give them as much information as you can. The census records may help you here.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

micheles wrote:Has anyone ever been to the National Archives in NYC to search for a Naturalization? I went and one of the volunteers searched online only! I can and have done this online. Any tips would be helpful.
In the previous post, member mler makes an important point: contrary to common assumption, the National Archives branches do not hold all naturalization records. Most of them, including the NYC branch, hold the records of persons who naturalized in federal courts within the branch's region, however a very large percentage of persons who naturalized in the US prior to the 1950's did so in state and local courts.

The NYC branch of the National Archives did not have records for either of my grandfathers. The archivist explained the federal/state court distinction and suggested I contact the Westchester County Archives as they had both lived in that area. It turns out that both had naturalized in the "Supreme Court of the State of New York at White Plains" and the county archives was able to provide copies of both sets of documents.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Have you used the indexes on the following website for NYC naturalizations? It is so easy to get the paperwork, if you locate your ancestor in the index.

http://www.italiangen.org/databaselist.stm

Also the nara.gov website is very useful and you can order naturalization records that way. There is an email address on that website for the facility in NY.

I have only been to one NARA facility and that was up in Massachusetts years ago. At the time, I was looking for a passenger list for my one grandfather. The volunteers there were very helpful, but it took close to two hours before we located the one record. I don't see why you are not using the online index databases to track down what you need. You could always then take the information from the database and go to the NARA in Manhattan to retrieve the record rather than mailing for it.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

My great-grandparents lived in Brooklyn.

I went to Brooklyn, they told me naturalization was only done until 1924 and all records were put online and you need a record number. You have to check stevemorse or one of those other database websites to get the record number. They were real nice. I have done this and found nothing. Than went to Chambers in NYC again, really nice there, they had nothing.

My g-grandfather came to US in 1904, died in 1939. Yes, checked every available online database :( Name Joseph Sommario.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

His arrival manifest does not show any naturalization record? =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I found just one likely manifest, SS Hohenzollern arrving New York Aug 25, 1903, Giuseppe Sommario born about 1878. There are no notations.

It is certainly possible that he never naturalized. The next step is probably to order an "Index Search" from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS): http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

My Mother swears he became a citizen. i guess this is my next step!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

.[/quote]

In the previous post, member mler makes an important point: contrary to common assumption, the National Archives branches do not hold all naturalization records. Most of them, including the NYC branch, hold the records of persons who naturalized in federal courts within the branch's region, however a very large percentage of persons who naturalized in the US prior to the 1950's did so in state and local courts[/quote]

When I requested a search at NARA in NYC for Ben they said they also searched the small common pleas courts and local courts. Maybe it has to do with the time period. She was searching 1892-1906. So they can check the small courts as well.

Alicia