Nardi and Greco from Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lindsaym

Nardi and Greco from Calabria

Post by lindsaym »

Hi...

I'm researching my Grandfather's family. His name was Vincenzo Nardi born in 1910.
His mothers name was Carolina Greco and father was Antonio Greco.
He was born in Mendicino, Cosenza, Calabria

I am having a hard time finding out anything about my great grandparents and beyond.

Can anyone help?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Nardi and Greco from Calabria

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Just a few questions so that we can try to help you...

Where was Vincenzo born? Are you referring to him when you say he was born in Mendicino, or to Antonio?

In your post you name Vincenzo's father with a different surname...is that correct? Was Vincenzo adopted?

Where did the family live while in the US?

Any other details you can provide will help in the search.

T.
lindsaym

Post by lindsaym »

I'm sorry....His name was Vincenzo Nardi, his mother was Carolina Greco, and his father was Antonio Nardi

Vincenzo was born in Mendicino. In 1910 and came to canada in 1927.

More specifically he arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and then on to Sault STe. Marie, ON, Canada, where he lived for the rest of his life.

I do have a copy of the ship passenger manifest with his name on it, that's how I found out his fathers name.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

If you want to pursue research of records in Italy there are couple of things you could do.
Since you know his comune/town of birth you could write directly to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Mendicino and request records (birth, marriage, death, etc.) for Vincenzo, Antonio, and Carolina. You will do best to write the request in Italian. This link will provide information about the process as well as form letters in Italian.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... ello2.html

Or you can visit your nearest Family History Center. The FHC is run by the Mormons who have extensive microfilmed records from around the world. In fact, they have civil records for Mendicino from 1809-1910. You will need to rent the film and view it at the FHC. To find the nearest center use this link and scroll down to put in your zip code. www.familysearch.org

T.
lindsaym

Post by lindsaym »

I live in Ontario, Canada. Are there any resources available here
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

There are LD Family History Centers in Ontario. Use the above link for familysearch.org and scroll down to enter your local information to find a center near you.

T.
grecojdw

Post by grecojdw »

Hi,

I have been posting all over the internet trying to find info about my family history. I come from a long line of Greco's who originated in Calabria in Consenza. Here is what I posted below. I know Greco is like saying Smith, but maybe you can retrieve some info from my posting:)

Hi ,

I posted earlier trying to find information about my ancestor Vincenzo Greco who immigrated to Panama in 1894. I have found out a lot of information but there is still a lot missing. But below is a synopsis of what I know:

Vincenzo Greco (J.R) - He was the one who immigrated to Panama
Born: April 5, 1875
Birthplace: Calabria, province of Catanzaro, the city of Coprani

Mother: Felicia Olivo Conte
birthplace: Consensa, Italy (?? all I know about her)

Father: Vincenzo Greco Olivo (Sr.) (??? Why would they both have Olivo in their names? Are they distantly related?)
Birthplace: Coprani, Italy

Here is where it gets confusing????....

I don't know whether Vincenzo Junior had two brothers named Salvatore and Serafino or it was Vincenzo Senior.

I just want to know if anybody else had further information for my research? Can anybody clear up this confusion? I also know some of Vincenzo Sr. and Jr.'s brothers and Sisters immigrated to the Americas also. Does anybody have any of these names or regions in your families?

Note: the Sr. and Jr. is to show you that both Vincenzo's (Father and Son) had the same first name. It is there to distinguish between them

It might not have anything to do with what your looking for, just saw some interesting parallel's from your posting.

Thank You,
grecojdw