searching for death certifiate of Cosmo Monterosso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

searching for death certifiate of Cosmo Monterosso

Post by jo123 »

Hi there,

I had a look at a couple of death certificates on the following website www.wvculture.org/vrr/...elect.aspx
which was posted on another post. I thought I might just have a look through. I am searching for a death certificate for my great grandfather Cosmo Monterosso who we believed died in about 1928. He was a miner in Pittsburgh but we are not sure where he died or if he really died then. Some relatives say he died of pneumonia others say a mining accident. There is a listing for a Carl Montrosse (miner) of Italian origin who died in Dec 1927. He was 45 years old making him born in 1882. My grandfathers birth year was between 1878 and 1882. I looked for a ship manifest for a Carl Montrosse but there was none.
Here is a image of the certificate:
http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 ... edcert.jpg

I know it has the name of a spouse as Annie Clisso, and my Great Grandfathers wife was Grazia Condina, but I'm sure many Italians took up with new wives in America to start a new life.

I know its an absolute long shot. Am I totally crazy looking for a needle in haystack like this.

Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: searching for death certifiate of Cosmo Monterosso

Post by maestra36 »

There is a Carlo Monterosso, born about 1878, who arrived April 21, 1905 aboard the Lombardia, line 15, going to a cousin in Avery, Ohio. He was from Reggio Calabria.

You can view this manifest from the website www.stevemorse.org

go to third option down which is gold form and you can see it and other variations of the spelling of the surname by doing a sound search
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Monteroso, Cosmo S. Eufemia, Italy 24 1887 1911 Monterosso, Cosmo Sinopoli, Reggio C. 30 1879 1909 Monterosso, Cosmo Melicucca, Italy 17 1903 1920 Monterosso, Cosmo Peggiolal 25 1879 1904
Monterosso, Cosmo Scido, Reggio C. 40 1869 1909

Here are the ones with the first name Cosmo. There are two listed with a year of birth of 1879. You can search their manifests on the same website as I gave you above.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Thanks for your reply.

I have already found all of the ship manifests for Cosmo Monterosso. And I have found a ship manifest for a Carmello Monterosso on ellisisland.org also, so no I don't think these are Cosmo Monterosso.

Like I said it was a long shot. Just don't know how I can find a death certificate now because I don't know where in the USA he died.

Thanks anyway
Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you have this manifest?

SS Colombo, arriving NY, 9 April 1925 (line 8 )

Cosmo Monterosso, 46 (puts his birth around 1879), laborer, married, heading to Pittsburgh. Leaving in Sinapoli, wife Grazia.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9205/m ... st1925.jpg

There is another manifest from 1921 that lists his wife as Grazia Codino(a).

T.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

for references and to not duplicate efforts :)

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 13880.html

Laura
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi Tessa,
Thankyou, yes I do have the 1925 manifest. Sorry I should have mentioned my prevoius post (thanks pink) and that I think I have found all of his manifests (1907, 1909, 1921 and 1925).

But any other leads would be greatly appreciated.

Josie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If you go to this Australian government web site, http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/ ... Screen.asp , and search only the name "monterosso" then weed through the results, you will find not only Saverio's entrance into Australia, but also several entrance/exits by Cosimo Monterosso and at least two by a Grazia Monterosso.

This leads me to the possibilty that Cosimo and/or Grazia visited their son in Australia? If so, the documentation (which you should be able to request copies of) may provide important details.

At the very least, Saveria's documents will show his last address, etc, before arriving in Australia.

PS: "Cosmo" is not an Italian given name; "Cosimo" is however.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

To locate records of european arrivals 1924-1956 series A997 request form 47. send e-mail to ref@naa.gov.au if the above dates tally with their arrival in OZ . Send to attention of Laura Shannon Inquiries officer. =Peter=
~Peter~
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi Johnny,
Yes I have been to the Australian National Archive and am waiting on some files on Saverio. A couple of the Cosimo's and Grazia's are Saverio's children.

When I went to view what files they had on my Grandparents, they only had a file card with addresses and job etc. That was when I first started researching so now I am more familiar with microfilms etc, I am sure I can request ship manifest etc, Thanks Peter.
johnnyonthespot wrote:
PS: "Cosmo" is not an Italian given name; "Cosimo" is however.
We have always wondered about the name Cosmo. Thats what started this whole search in the first place. When my Grandfather Cosmo (one of Cosmo Monterosso's descendants) died last year, we were searching through the Aust National Archive to see what name he entered Australia as, because his name was always pronounced Cosimo but he spelt it Cosmo.

Josie