Italian Citizenship-I am new to the group

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
RCassia62

Italian Citizenship-I am new to the group

Post by RCassia62 »

I was born in Brazil and I am a American Citizen through immigration. My mother's paternal grandparents immigrated to Brazil in 1896. My mother's father was born in Brazil in 1904. My mother's mother was born in Italy and immigrated with her family to Brazil in 1913. I have all the info about them but my ggrandmothers death certificate, both were born in Italy and died somewhere in Brazil. None of them were naturalized Brazilians as I already check and have a document from the government that attest to that. My mother was born in Brazil in 1937. My question is: Can I file a request for the Italian citizenship here in the US or should I do this in Brazil even though I don't live there anymore? How long does it take to get the Italian citizenship? Does all the documents that are in Portuguese must be translated into Italian? Some of the surnames are altered, do I have to fix them? (i.e. Bassi/Bass into Basso and Masson into Mazzon, the late being their actual Italian surname).
I appreciated any suggestion or info about this. I really would like to get my Italian citizenship. RCassia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citizenship-I am new to the group

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Prior to January 1, 1948, Italian citizenship was passed only by the father.

Therefore, a lineage which includes you -> your mother -> your Italian grandmother would not be valid because your mother was born in 1937 and thus could not inherit citizenship from her mother.

Did I read your lineage correctly?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
RCassia62

Post by RCassia62 »

Yes, you did.
But could I receive the Italian citizenship through my mother=>father=>Italian father?

Thanks,

RCassia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

RCassia62 wrote: But could I receive the Italian citizenship through my mother=>father=>Italian father?
Certainly.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
RCassia62

Post by RCassia62 »

(I am sorry I am full of questions about this and I do appreciate all this help. You are so nice.)

Then, can I open the process here in the US even though my Italian ancestors immigrated to Brazil and not the US?

And how long usually takes for the process to run its course from filing the petition until actually receiving the citizenship? (Without the research part)

Thanks,

RCassia
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

You must got though the consulate where you reside.
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

Yes, you can file your application in the US because this is where you currently legally reside. The length of time varies depending on which consulate you will be filing at. Some consulates give you an application appointment within weeks, and others may make you wait a year or two for this. Once your application is accepted, the waiting time is also variable -- it can take a couple of months to a year or two. In my case, I waited 2 months for an appointment in Los Angeles, and am still waiting almost 8 months for my acceptance letter.

My advice is to contact the consulate which you are a resident, and get an appointment to see how long appointments are taking for your consulate, while you are working on getting all of your paperwork. Brazil is not a country that provides apostilles, so you must get your Brazilian documents certified and translated per the requirements of the Italian consulate in Brazil that covers where in Brazil those documents were produced. My wife is Brazilian--I was told this by the consulate in LA that her BC needs this if we apply for her Italian citizenship by marriage. But the best thing to do is to ask your consulate what they want you to do.

Boa sorte!
e.mazzon

Post by e.mazzon »

Hi RCassia
I have just seen now your inquiry.
In case your ancestors would be "Mazzon" try to search in the site http://www.myheritage.com and also at http://www.famigliamazzon.myheritage.com
In this site there are many "family's trees" and maybe you can find your ancestry.
It will be usefull if you know where they came from (better if you have also others data: date and place of birth, marriage or death)
I think, if you are able to find a connection with your Italian ancestors, it will be easier for you to ask for Italian citizenship

Regards
Egidio
(Treviso, Italy)
RCassia62 wrote:I was born in Brazil and ...................................................................................................... Does all the documents that are in Portuguese must be translated into Italian? Some of the surnames are altered, do I have to fix them? (i.e. Bassi/Bass into Basso and Masson into Mazzon, the late being their actual Italian surname).
I appreciated any suggestion or info about this. I really would like to get my Italian citizenship. RCassia