Looking info on Italian surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
krepiscak

Looking info on Italian surnames

Post by krepiscak »

Hello,

I've been researching my ancestors for over 15 years and am still trying to find any information I can on the following names: Marchese, Fiorentino, Monaco, Miceli. From what I know (and been told) the family is from San Fili & Rende, Cosenza Calabria. Any infromation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Looking info on Italian surnames

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum!
Have you found anything on this site?
ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI COSENZA
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... 85BA.node1
- spelling can be off
- they're still adding records
- you'll need a valid email account for registration
Valarie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What exactly do you hope to find?

You can see from the Italian telephone directory those names (I only checked the first two) are somewhat common in those towns.

Perhaps you should write to some of them, explaining who you are and asking if they may be related. Many people find this site helpful in constructing such letters.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
krepiscak

Post by krepiscak »

Valarie, I haven't tried many places in Italy yet. Everything I have is from family records held in the states. I will look into it and see what I can find.

Johnny...all 4 of my Italian great-grandparents emmigrated to the USA by 1902. Not sure if they kept correspondence with any remaining relatives in Italy. Maybe once I have some additional information on the ancestors, I can bring it up the other lines and find distant relations instead of running blind. The worst part is my uncle had been researching and found a lot, sadly, he passed away 8 years ago and no one has a clue where his research is located. I do have one other relative who has been to Cosenza, yet he is only following the Marchese/Miceli lines; and he hasn't responded to our various requests.