Who traveled with my three y/o grandpa?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
chelssavoy

Who traveled with my three y/o grandpa?

Post by chelssavoy »

I found my grandfather (Barbarino Scavuzza) and his brother (Anthony Scavuzza) at ellisisland.org but who traveled with them? There is a female listed with them on the manifest but I am having trouble reading the name. Can anyone help? Any info from the manifest would help.

Chelsea
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Who traveled with my three y/o grandpa?

Post by PeterTimber »

go back to ellis island and click on ALTERNATE SPELLING ONLY at the top of the names portion. There are 108.Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The female's name is Crocifiesa (think the correct spelling would be Crocifissa) Castelli.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The town they came from in Sicily may have been Calascibetta. There is no such place as Coloccobetta which appears on the manifest, as far as I can tell. I think the last name Scavuzzo appears as part of the destination on the manifest. I think it is the husband of Crocifiesa, but I can't make out the first name of the husband, nor can I make out the location of their destination. It might be Savannah misspelled.

By the way, in the current Italian white pages, there is the surname Scavuzzo in the town I gave you above. You can search the phonebook at
http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The town is in the province of Enna in Sicily.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Father's name could be Andrea
chelssavoy

Post by chelssavoy »

Thanks for the replys. So, I know that my ggfather's name was Andrew. Could this be the American name for Andrea? If so, I can't find any records of when he arrived in the US. And if I understand the post right, Crocifiesa Castelli could have been my ggmother? I know that my ggparents were married at the time of my gfathers arrival. I really haven't been able to find much on either of my ggparents.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Yes Andrew is the English translation for Andrea and your ggmother was Crocifissa Castelli.
The surname is Scavuzzo
chelssavoy

Post by chelssavoy »

Wow, i'm so impressed. I guess that is my ggmother. How exciting. She was born in 1891 so that would make her 25 when she arrived. Why didn't she use her married name? I didn't realize that was her real name. I only knew her as grandma Rose. But the problem is I still can't find anymore info on her or my ggfather. Not quite sure where to look for census records or even which name to use. I know they settled in Illinois.
By the way....thanks for everyones help.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In Italy women keep their maiden name in official documents when they are married.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

To expand on Livio's comment -

When an Italian woman travelled with her husband, the manifest would often look like this:

Jones, William
(wife) Mary
(son) Robert
(son) James
(daughter) Grace

When father and children travel alone:

Jones, William
(son) Robert
(son) James
(daughter) Grace

When wife and children travel alone:

Smith, Mary
(son) Jones, Robert
(son) Jones, James
(daughter) Jones, Grace
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You might want to read the following website on Italian Genealogy which will permit you to know how to research your family genealogy at your own pace and interest.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

=Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Carmine,

I have seen many manifests where husband and wife travelled together and the wife was still listed under her maiden name. And I have also seen manifests that listed the children under the mother's name when they travelled together. There is always some puzzle to be solved. :wink:

MJ
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Misbris you are certainly right since the manifest preparer in Italy was usually an Italian but sometimes an English or German off the immigrant ship crew or company would fill out the manifest not knowing the language or nuances of Italian family composiiton and screw it up!

In a personal case,my Grandmothers name was chewed up beyond recogniiton and I only found it because the children bore my grandfathers surname directly below her name. =Peter=
~Peter~