Genealogy Gamero

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
g-JaVi

Genealogy Gamero

Post by g-JaVi »

someone knows if it is true that the surname Gamero comes from Italy!
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Genealogy Gamero

Post by Squigy »

g-JaVi wrote:someone knows if it is true that the surname Gamero comes from Italy!
Welcome to the Forum!!

Gamero seems to be of Spanish origin, and has a large presence in Mexico. Why do you think it's Italian? Do you know of any Mexican ancestors?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
g-JaVi

Post by g-JaVi »

Since on the Internet I read something like the emperor Julio Caesar was Gamero, I wanted to know if it was based on real information or not. I am not from Mexico I was born in Honduras.
g-JaVi

Post by g-JaVi »

And researching a little I found this surnames similar Gemiero, Gammero, Gammaro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome :-)

There are a few families with the name Gamero in the Piemonte Region of Italy today. Use this link to enter the name (cognome) at the left... to see distribution of the name today.

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Italian surname dictionary does not show any GAMERO as a base surname nor as a variant, derivative, alteration or abbreviation. It is imported and italianized.

The closest surname in the Italian surname dictionary is GAMALERO with its variants Gamalerio and Gamaleri which is widely distributed in Piemonte region, Liguria coming from Longobardo roots (foreign=GAMAHAL) in 642AD. The German version is GAMBARO. Its latin version is GAMALARIUS. =Peter=
~Peter~
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hi.
In the area I live (N-W Piemonte) there's a god number of GAMERRO Families. Gamero could be a variation, easier to pronunciate especially if Spanish is your language.
Ciao,
Maurizio