CATHOLIC RECORDS - LONDON

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

CATHOLIC RECORDS - LONDON

Post by carolinechurch »

I have had no luck finding many church records for my Ciaccia ancestors who lived in London. There are large gaps, where I know records must exist, and it has dawned on me that maybe I need to find Catholic records as I have only searched Church of England.
They are non-existent on Ancestry, so I have ordered a CD of an assortment of parish registers compiled by the Catholic Family History Society.
I have also searched the LDS site and found some books that look interesting, but obviously they are only available if you can go to Utah, which is non too practical for me!
Does anyone know how you go about searching in the actual LDS library, or has anyone any handy hints for finding London/Middlesex Catholic records from about 1812 - 1860?
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: CATHOLIC RECORDS - LONDON

Post by PeterTimber »

I recall that once I located a book in my own family researches housed in LDS library in Utah and they were quite willing to make copies of relevant pages or the entire book. Whynot dropthem a line and ask if they can send the records to merry old London....Publications Coordination, FHL, 35 N.WEST Temple Street, Sal Lake City, Utah 84150-3400 and see what they can do for you...=Peter=
~Peter~
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Thanks Peter, I'll give it a whirl.
Were they at all willing to have a 'quick look' first, as I'm not even sure of the contents or relevance...?
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Then dear heart speak with the european desk and inquire within. =Peter=
~Peter~