Response from Uffico di Stato, Commune di Sinopoli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Response from Uffico di Stato, Commune di Sinopoli

Post by jo123 »

Hi all,

I received a response for my request for Atto di Nascita and Atto di Matrimonio for my Grandparents and G Grandparents from Comune di Sinopoli today, but it was not quite what I expected.

They sent me only Estratto di atto nascito and Estratto di atto matrimonio, which don't have any names of the parents. I was expecting actual copies of the birth and marriage certificates. The extracts do specify the number of the document, for example no. 111 of year 1907. Am I supposed to use this information to request the copies of the documents, and if so who do I direct them to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Response from Uffico di Stato, Commune di Sinopoli

Post by maestra36 »

You never get actual copies of the records when you order from the towns in Italy. They only send you estratti. If you are dealing with the comune di Sinopoli in Reggio Calabria, I would personally try to rent the microfilms for the town from a local Mormon library. Since you have the date on the record, you should be able to retrieve a copy of the original record off of the microfilm. It will contain a lot of information. The town has records to 1910 on microfilm.

www.familysearch.org- then search the library catalog using the name of your town and Italy and you will see what records are available on microfilm
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Josie, do you recall exactly what you requested?

"Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita" usually include the father's given name and mother's full maiden name; I am surprised to hear that your's do not.

Photocopies of original registry pages of birth, marriage, and death acts are called "Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita" (or Matrimonio or Morte).

You could write again and request these; it would be helpful to include a copy of the extract already received to make the search that much easier.

As you may have seen in other threads here, these copies of original records are often difficult (but not impossible!) to read.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

maestra36 wrote:You never get actual copies of the records when you order from the towns in Italy. They only send you estratti.
I have found that if you request copies of original records (Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte), then that is what you get.

If you do not specify, then you get the extracts. However, even those extracts (for births, anyway) usually include parent's names. In Italy's smaller comuni there can easily be several Giuseppe Smith's born in the span of a single year; thus knowing the parent's names is imperative to determine the applicability of any document.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I thought I had requested copies of the documents but I didn't use the words "Copia di...." so I probably worded it incorrectly. Unfortunately the "Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita and Matrimonio's" I received did not have the parents names, I knew most of them, I was just hoping for the maiden name of one and adoptive parents names of another. I have requested microfilm, but some of them are post 1910. Searching through them now will be a little easier now I have the reference numbers.

I might send another request, and will definitely send copies of what they sent me to make it easy for them to find.

Thanks
Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

If you give me the names and dates I can take a look for you next wednesday at the archive of Reggio Calabria and sent you the pics.
The date must be before 1922.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Hi There,

Thankyou so much. I will send you a pm with all the info. I will scan the extracts that they gave me to make it easier to find.

Thanks again

Josie
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

apiapibij I just sent you a pm

Josie
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

If the Civil State of Sinopoli and Polistena is in the archive of Reggio, there will be no problem at all. They have some strange way of sharing their stuff with their dependance in Palmi though. Let's hope everything is in Reggio.
I'll let you know next wednesday or thursday.

Making indexes of the notary- and churchregisters of S.Agata I remember encountering a family Carbone from Sinopoli, from who a Giovanni Carbone is married with Angela Biasi from S.Agata, where they were also living. He died there ca. 1774
Familymembers in Sinopoli were: Ferdinando Carbone, Saveria Carbone fu Marcello, Giuseppe Carbone, Francesco Carbone fu Antonio, Pasquale Carbone, Paolo Carbone
You can find them an many other Carbones at http://www.benvanrijswijk.com/fontigenealogiche.htm
Regards Ben
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Thank you so much. I will look forward to hearing from you.

Josie
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

I am really very sorry (really), but also the Civil State of Sinopoli and Polistena are NOT in the Reggio Calabria State Archive.
It is the second time that I have to disappoint someone and I feel really very bad about this.
I expressed my anger by asking why they do not more to make their collection complete and the answer was that they had the microfilms made by the Mormons so why doing your job and getting tired? The microfims only go untill 1910 though.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Thankyou so much for trying. I will write to Sinopoli again and ask for copies of the documents. I have also requested some microfilms so I will be able to find a couple of those documents.

Again, thankyou for your help.

Josie