First name Dethista?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: First name Dethista?

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:i have yet to find the meaning of the names in above post, with the exception of noe. i am also trying to locate the first name rappetti. not being one to give up so easily, a trip to the library will be added to my list of things to do. so hold off on my final grade peter!!
the correct name of nono's brother will have to wait for records to arrive, but i am of the belief that his fathers name was noe as stated in the ship manifest.
thanks to suanj who located the manifest for nono's first trip to usa, we now know that he did indeed have a cousin. in examing francesco's manifest, he went to the same address as my nono. in fact, i found several names all going to box 42, spring valley, ill. these names appear on all three manifest that i have.
i am also planning to purchase the books you recommended peter. i am hoping these are readily available at the larger book stores.
on with the search!!!!!!! :lol:
Hi: you sure that RAPPETTI are an first name? I believe not... in Italy exist RAPetti surname (RaPPetti are an rare version of original RaPetti)... about Rappetti/Rapetti, which info you demand?
regards, suanj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

hi suanj,
in researching the name rapetti, sorry i spelled wrong in earlier post. :oops:
i did not find rapetti as first name but as last name.
but in my nona's obituary it reads as follows:

Born march 10,1889 in talamello,italy, to alessandro and rapetti caterina grifoni.

i like to know origination and meaning of name. i already have meanings
for all other family names, except the ones mentioned in earlier post.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:hi suanj,
in researching the name rapetti, sorry i spelled wrong in earlier post. :oops:
i did not find rapetti as first name but as last name.
but in my nona's obituary it reads as follows:

Born march 10,1889 in talamello,italy, to alessandro and rapetti caterina grifoni.

i like to know origination and meaning of name. i already have meanings
for all other family names, except the ones mentioned in earlier post.
Hi, exact spelling is Caterina (first name) Rapetti Grifoni surnames... Now: i know not if Rapetti is surname of father or mother of Caterina..

-Rapetti origin surname: especially from Italy north West this surname derive from some nicknames connected to "Rapa=turnip" cultivation...
-Grifoni: grifoni sono animali fantastici, metà leoni e metà aquila e sono il simbolo della doppia natura di Cristo (umana e divina). Sono avversari di serpenti e basilischi che, al contrario, sono espressioni e reincarnazioni del diavolo e dei demoni
The "Grifoni" are an bird, and the picture of this bird was many used in middle age's coats of arms...are not records about Grifoni origin surname, but are probable that coming from an coat of arm http://www.istitutodatini.it/biblio/ima ... ida547.jpg
in fact the Grifoni family was noble family...
regards, suani
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

you are an angel sent from above suanj! your help has been appreciated very much. i hope as i learn from you and others here at this site that i can in turn help others in their search.

we do know that the grifoni family did not want angela to marry settimio cupi, and that alessandro grifoni was a banker of some sort, very wealthy.
the family also owned olive groves which my nona left to her family. we are still waiting for aunt katherine, noni's oldest daughter to send us the address of family in italy. which would make search easier, they can get the records we need to trace our family history.

based on naming tradition, i bet aunt katherine was named for caterina.
nona also had a daughter who died, her name was mary, but the family does not know when she was born.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:you are an angel sent from above suanj! your help has been appreciated very much. i hope as i learn from you and others here at this site that i can in turn help others in their search.

we do know that the grifoni family did not want angela to marry settimio cupi, and that alessandro grifoni was a banker of some sort, very wealthy.
the family also owned olive groves which my nona left to her family. we are still waiting for aunt katherine, noni's oldest daughter to send us the address of family in italy. which would make search easier, they can get the records we need to trace our family history.

nona also had a daughter who died, her name was mary, but the family does not know when she was born.
Hi!
The Grifoni families in Pesaro & Urbino province is very ancient and noble origin...
Currently are small Grifoni persons in this province and also in Talamello, but I think that, most probable, in the past, the Grifoni in Talamello perhaps coming from Sant'Angelo in Vado common, near Talamello, why in Sant'Angelo in Vado are ancient documents Grifoni family presence in this Pesaro/Urbino province... in fact around XV° century are the M. Grifoni "capitano d'arme" noble captain... this family was of Tuscany origin and came in Pesaro area... I founf not some data about Alessandro Grifoni but in Talamello are only 2 living persons http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... lo&x=0&y=0
if you have need some details about relatives of Angela Grifoni you can request infos in Talamello common ... please let me know your needs...regards, suanj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

hi suanj :D
i sent request for birth and marriage extracts on non legal paper for Settimio and Angela. this is the address i was given:

Comune Di Talamello
Via A. Saffi, 34
61015 Talamello (PU)
Italy

i also sent letters of inquiry to all cupi and grifoni in pu. i am still waiting on aunt for exact names and address. :?

now it is just a matter of waiting for mail to arrive......

i would like to know more of grifoni from sant'angelo in vado common. how can i read of these documents?

i know that nona had a brother and sister still living in Italy at the time of her death, my aunt recalls more than one sister, but again, her memory may not be what it was. i am going according to the obituary, and it did not list names. my aunt recalls maria, and zamus (sp?)

my mother recalls hearing of nona being of a noble family, she did not pay attention to it because she also recalls hearing of a relative who was a highly religous person, like a pope or something, but she does not recall what century or which side, cupi or grifoni, only that it was many centuries ago.

to end, my mother said to bless you, she is amazed at the information you have uncovered. :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:hi suanj :D
i sent request for birth and marriage extracts on non legal paper for Settimio and Angela. this is the address i was given:

Comune Di Talamello
Via A. Saffi, 34
61015 Talamello (PU)
Italy

i also sent letters of inquiry to all cupi and grifoni in pu. i am still waiting on aunt for exact names and address. :?

now it is just a matter of waiting for mail to arrive......

i would like to know more of grifoni from sant'angelo in vado common. how can i read of these documents?

i know that nona had a brother and sister still living in Italy at the time of her death, my aunt recalls more than one sister, but again, her memory may not be what it was. i am going according to the obituary, and it did not list names. my aunt recalls maria, and zamus (sp?)

my mother recalls hearing of nona being of a noble family, she did not pay attention to it because she also recalls hearing of a relative who was a highly religous person, like a pope or something, but she does not recall what century or which side, cupi or grifoni, only that it was many centuries ago.

to end, my mother said to bless you, she is amazed at the information you have uncovered. :D
Hi: in Sant'Angelo in Vado are an church called " S. Maria dei Servi" (national monument) that have an baroque altar dedicated to Grifoni family of Sant'Angelo in Vado, and are an Palace of family Grifoni Nardini Ridarelli (Nardini Ridarelli are two surnames of families in relationship of Grifoni; when an noble family have more surnames and have the surnames of paternal line why noble and also maternal line surname why also noble) of venetian sculptor and architect Marino di Marco Cedrini; the first Grifoni that I know( on line documents)in Pesaro area, the Matteo Grifoni captain of Florence Republic and Venice Republic, XV°/XVI° century...
the Palace is the sx first
http://www.comune.sant-angelo-in-vado.p ... rGcitt.htm
for know more info to wait the reply of Talamello common with details about relatives names of Angela (also mother surname!), and after to request an "Certificato storico di famiglia" (Family story certificate: all childs of Alessandro, sometime marriages and also the emigration) about Alessandro Grifoni; probable are necessary the birthdate of Alessandro...
The address of Talamello Common is just, but the letter was addressed to "Servizi Demografici-Comune di Talamello-etc..."; but I think are equal, why Talamello is an little village...
many regards, suanj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

hi suanj,

thank you for the website, and again for all the help you have provided.
even if my nona is not related to these grifoni, she will always be noble in my eyes and heart.

what i wouldn't give to taste her cappelletti's one more time!!!

i will keep you posted,

regards, wldspirit :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:hi suanj,

thank you for the website, and again for all the help you have provided.
even if my nona is not related to these grifoni, she will always be noble in my eyes and heart.

what i wouldn't give to taste her cappelletti's one more time!!!

i will keep you posted,

regards, wldspirit :)
ok :wink: suanj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Mystery solved....

Post by wldspirit »

Researching old obituaries solves two mysteries and leads to new clues in my search, I have discovered that Settimio Cupi was one of 7 children born to Noe' and Angela Cupi. 3 brothers and 1 sister proceeded him in death, leaving two brothers in Italy, Battista and Baldo. His father and mother also proceeded his death. He married Angela Grifoni in May of 1908 in Italy. Angela Grifoni's parents were Alessandro Grifoni and Caterina Rapetti.
I wish I could have uncovered his mothers maiden name but that will have to wait for documents to arrive........
So now I know his brother and fathers correct names and the correct surname of Angela Grifoni's mother.
Settimio and his wife were the only ones to immigrate to the USA, and I also put to rest the family question of when and where they were married.
Homework done!!!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

:wink: GREAT!
suanj
Lenam

Post by Lenam »

My family on my fathers side has the last name destito. I cannot find meaning. We are from calabria and my great grandfather came to america around early 1900s to ellis island. They settled in western ny and family been there ever since. He fought in both wars for the americans. He went back and got my ggrandmother not soon after he came over the first time. Hope it helps.
SettimioShipman

Post by SettimioShipman »

wldspirit wrote: 11 Dec 2004, 21:34 you are an angel sent from above suanj! your help has been appreciated very much. i hope as i learn from you and others here at this site that i can in turn help others in their search.

Hello- my name is Settimio Shipman. I am Katherine (Cupi) Shipman’s grand son. Katherine’s son, Reed Shipman was my birth father. That would make Angela Grifoni my great grand mother. Settimio Cupi my great grandfather. I live in Anna Maria island, Florida, Katherine lived on Long boat key for many years during my childhood. My friend doing some research on my family lineage came across this post from 20+ years ago. If you receive this message, and would like to connect . Please reply to my email at shipmansettimio@yahoo.com.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hello!
I am Eli Cupi's grand-daughter, his only grandchild. My mother is Diane Cupi. This post was many, many years ago when I first started delving into genealogy and knew nothing about research, where to begin or even how to properly phrase questions on research, almost embarrassing to see these newbie questions! LOL

I actually attended Aunt Katherine's funeral service in Pekin and following the service we gathered at Alan's house. I remember meeting Reed's daughters, whose names I don't recall right off hand.

I used to visit my grandfather in Longboat key, did you ever meet my grandfather? He was quite the character! Look forward to hearing from you.
DeLisa

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."