Puleo/Carrao family from Sciacca Sicily to Manhattan NY

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
asha730

Puleo/Carrao family from Sciacca Sicily to Manhattan NY

Post by asha730 »

Im trying to find information on my great grandmother Anna Carrao and her husband Salvatore John Puleo. They were married in Manhattan in 1905 (I ordered the marriage certificate) but I cant find any information on their children. I know that all but one died in the Spanish Influenza epidemic in 1917/1918 but I cannot find any information on births/burials. My grandfather, Joseph Puleo was the oldest and born in 1907 in Manhattan. That is all the info I have. I would like to know how many of his siblings were born and died, where they are buried, and when Anna and Salvatore came to the US.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Puleo/Carrao family from Sciacca Sicily to Manhattan NY

Post by maestra36 »

Welcome to this forum. It would be helpful if you know from where in Italy Anna and Salvatore came and shared that information with us. hat would help us locate them on passenger lists.
asha730

Post by asha730 »

They are from sciacca Sicily. I put it in the subject line if my post. Thanks
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I see a number of Salvatore Puleo's from Sciacca on passenger lists, but there is no way to tell if one of these is yours. I see a few Anna Carrao's from the town as well.

You can search these passenger lists yourself on www.stevemorse.org. You can use the gold form, put in that the town name contains Sciacca, and put in the surname or even the first letter of the first and last name, with just the town name. There is a 57 year old Salvatore Puleo with a wife named Caterina Carrao in NY, but he would be too old.

I looked at the NYC groom and bride's indexes online and don't see the marriage date for this couple either. Where did you get their marriage date from? The indexes are at this website
http://www.italiangen.org/Default.htm

I can't find this family on the census records either. Did they always reside in NY, if so, Manhattan, or one of the other boroughs? Do you know what approximate years Sal and Anna were born? Any additional info you know could be helpful to those of us on this forum who are trying to help you.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I found this -

Salvatore Poleo married Anna Carrao in Manhattan on Nov 25, 1905. His father was Giuseppe P. and his mother was Margarita Cogliador. The bride's father was Paolo Carrao and her mother was Maria Colletta. Certificate #22601.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

sister to Salvatore Poleo-

Angela Poleo married in Manhattan on Dec 2, 1906. She was the daughter of Giuseppe Poleo and Margarita Cogliadore. She married Vincenzo Pimino
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There is an Anna Carrao on The Neopolitan Prince which arrived on March 11, 1905. She was 17 and traveling to her brother Giuseppe Carrao at 176 Elizabeth St in Manhattan. On the line below her is an Angela Puleo, age 16, going to the same address but to her brother Giacomo Puleo. Possibly this Angela Puleo is the sister of Salvatore that I gave you the marriage info for above, and the Anna Carrao yours. Also there are a number of people on this same manifest on the lines right above with the Colletti surname all destined for the same Manhattan address.
asha730

Post by asha730 »

Wow that's all great information! I'm going to look into some of these leads further but it sounds like you've found the right people. Thank you so much!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Here's some new information which is really important-

I found a brother of Anna on a passenger with his destination to Salvatore Puleo

Anna's brother is Giuseppe Carrao, age 18, on the SS Berlin (line 9) which arrived on Jan 22, 1914. His father, Paolo, was his closest relative in Sciacca. His destination was to his brother-in-law, Salvatore Puleo, who was living in Frankfort, NY. Instead of an address in Frankfort, there is a box number which looks like 150 for Salvatore. Now you know where Sal was in 1914 which may help finding him on census records.
asha730

Post by asha730 »

If Giuseppe Carrao is Anna's brother and didnt arrive until 1914 in the US then that cannot be the correct Anna that arrived in 1905 and is listed as going to her brother Giuseppe's home on Elizabeth Street in Manhattan. Am I understanding the information correctly?
I know that Anna and Salvatore lived on Elizabeth Street in Manhattan when they were first married, so I think that the Anna and Angela information on the Neapolitan Prince in 1905 is most likely the right people, but not Giuseppe Carrao arriving in 1914 and going to Frankfort NY. Let me know if Im on the right track.
Anna had several children (At least three) that she was raising in Manhattan at the time of the Spanish Inluenza epidemic in 1917/1918. Although I cant seem to locate them on any census prior to 1930 (they had moved to Elizabeth NJ by that time) Im pretty sure they were still in Manhattan until they moved to NJ in 1921.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Possibly Giuseppe Carrao was going back and forth to Italy. You need to check to see if he is on any other passenger lists. Both Giuseppe Carrao on the 1914 passenger list and your Anna Carrao had a father named Paolo. Does it say on the 1914 passenger list if Giuseppe Carrao had ever been in the U.S. before? You need to check and see if that info is there, as I didn't.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

It looks like they changed the answer no to yes on the 1914 passenger list concerning whether or not he had ever been in the U.S. before. There is a 9 year old Giuseppe born abt 1895 on a ship April 20, 1904 going to 176 Elizabeth Street and an uncle named Giuseppe Corrao at that address. There is a 7 year old below him named Paola going to the same uncle. The ship is The Slavonia. The last name is spelled Corrao.

Just keep an open mind about Sal's family possibly being in upstate NY for a short period of time. Hopefully other documents will prove or disprove that the information is connected to your ancestry. That's the only advice I can give you based on my 16 years of doing genealogy research.
policiaboy

Post by policiaboy »

asha730 wrote:If Giuseppe Carrao is Anna's brother and didnt arrive until 1914 in the US then that cannot be the correct Anna that arrived in 1905 and is listed as going to her brother Giuseppe's home on Elizabeth Street in Manhattan. Am I understanding the information correctly?
I know that Anna and Salvatore lived on Elizabeth Street in Manhattan when they were first married, so I think that the Anna and Angela information on the Neapolitan Prince in 1905 is most likely the right people, but not Giuseppe Carrao arriving in 1914 and going to Frankfort NY. Let me know if Im on the right track.
Anna had several children (At least three) that she was raising in Manhattan at the time of the Spanish Inluenza epidemic in 1917/1918. Although I cant seem to locate them on any census prior to 1930 (they had moved to Elizabeth NJ by that time) Im pretty sure they were still in Manhattan until they moved to NJ in 1921.
policiaboy

Post by policiaboy »

I am decended from Anna Corrao who emmigrated to Elizabeth New Jersey, but for a while she was living on Elizabeth Street in New York City with her Sister Giuseppa Peddicano, who was originally married to Vincenzo Maniscalco, all from Sciacca. In Elizabeth they knew the Puleo's, and i was told we are related to the ones who make Chirstmas Trees in Cranford. I contacted them once but they never called me back. I do not know how we are realted to them, possibly by marriage since my cousins in Sciacca have a mother whos maiden name is Puleo.
My grandfather was Phil Orazi, and his wife was Vita Corrao (Betty).
Italian last names, Orazi, Di Francesco, Colletti, Corrao
marianita1125

Post by marianita1125 »

Hi,

I am another great granddaughter of Anna Corrao & Salvatore Puleo. I have the following information-

Salvatore Puleo & Anna Corrao married in NYC on Nov 25, 1905

CORRAO side-
Anna Corrao had a brother and sister I know of-
Sister was Maria Corrao, born in Sciacca on April 3, 1889 and died in Sciacca on March 14, 1975. She married Salvatore Ruffo in Sciacca on December 31, 1910 and they had 9 children.

Brother was Giuseppe Corrao, born on August 15, 1895 and died in NYC on July 1, 1968. He did indeed come to the US on a steamship in 1914, I have the ticket my great grandfather (Salvatore Puleo) paid for him to come over on November 7, 1913 on the SS Berlin from the North German Lloyd Steamship Co. The ship arrived on January 22, 1914 as you had said above.

I am trying to figure out if there are any other brothers/sisters on the Corrao side or on the Puleo side and whether or not Salvatore Puleo & Anna Corrao had any children other than Giuseppe Puleo who was born on January 31, 1907 in NYC.

PULEO side-
Salvatore Puleo- Born June 13, 1883 in Sciacca, died in Elizabeth NJ on Oct 18, 1936. He married Anna Corrao

I know he had 1 sister named Angela Puleo born in Sciacca on Sept 18, 1888 and married Vincenzo Pimino on Dec 2, 1906.

policiaboy: I saw your post - we are the Puleo's that make Christmas trees. My mom is a Puleo. So, is your grandmother Betty Corrao born on May 15, 1906 and died March 1, 1984 from Cortland County? I found her info online. Please contact me, I would love to figure out how it is that we are related. Also, who is the aunt that you have with the maiden name Puleo that lives in Sciacca? Please let me know.

Thanks!
Marianna