Could Erragi be Arrighi?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dsluvsms

Could Erragi be Arrighi?

Post by dsluvsms »

Good evening,

I just received my great great grandmother's death certificate from the NYC Department of Health. It states the informant was my great grandfather( her son) and he stated that his grandmother's maiden name was Erragi. However, I cannot find any last name Erragi. So I was wondering if maybe he just spelled it how it sounded to him and it should be Arrighi? Any one have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!! :D

And JUST in case someone knows my family and can shed some more like light on my family...you never know who reads these message boards...The death certificate was for Rose Genovese nee Rosa Manzo, father Antonio Manzo, mother Anna Erragi (Arrighi?). Rose was born Jan 13 1877 and died Dec 12 1945. She was married to Giovanni Genovese (John Genovese listed on the death certificate..apparently they Americanized their names because she was born Rosa and the death certificate has Rose) She came to this country in 1908, according to the death certificate. Thank you!!!
Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Could Erragi be Arrighi?

Post by Michael31 »

www.ellisislandrecords.org
Anna Arrighi
S. Italian
Civillo, Italy
arrived: Sep 26,1908
Ship: La Provence
Port: Havre
manifest line number: 0021
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

www.ellisislandrecords.org

Ernestina Arrighi
S. Italian
Civillo, Italy
arrived: Sep 26,1908
ship: La Provence
Port: Havre
manifest line number: 0020
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

the years do not match.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello :-D

Ship Manifest for Rosa Manzo lists her as married and 31. Leaving her father Antonio in Cava de'Tirreni, going to her husband Giovanni Genovese in Brooklyn. Her place of birth is listed as Pagani.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Rosa Manzo
Name: Rosa Manzo
Arrival Date: 30 Aug 1907
Birth Year: abt 1876
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: pagani
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Perugia

Line 22
Page 1
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7937 ... nifest.jpg

Page 2
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8740 ... ifest2.jpg

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

First Name: Rosa
Last Name: Manzo
Ethnicity: Italian, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Cava Tirreni, Italy
Date of Arrival: Aug 30, 1907
Age at Arrival: 31y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Perugia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0022

Her town of birth is given as Pagini on the original imanifest Her destination was to her husband Giovanni Genovese. Her nearest relative in Cava Tirreni was her father Antonio.

You can view this manifest by going to ellisislandrecords.org or www.stevemorse.org.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Hi T
You must type faster than me!
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think the correct spelling of the town given as her town of birth on the original manifest is Pagani.
dsluvsms

Post by dsluvsms »

Thank you! Yes that is her. Now I am just wondering about her mother's maiden name. Could Erragi really be Arrighi?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

From my own experience with NYC death records, I have found maiden names of mothers to not only be misspelled but sometimes totally wrong.
I personally think the only way you will ever know for sure the correct mother's maiden name is to get the birth record from Italy for your Rosa Manzo. Women in the Italian records are always under their maiden names, so you would request the information for Rosa Manzo and not for Rose Genovese. Give her father's name, Antonio Manzo and her mother's first name with the last name you have with a question mark. Here is the mailing address I found for the town of Pagani, which is listed on her passenger list as her town of birth. It may or may not be.

Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza B. D'Arezzo , 84016 - Pagani (SA)
tel: 0815159330

I am looking for an address for the anagrafe office in Cava. I see their official website but no mailing or email address for that office.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza Roma , 84013 - Cava de' Tirreni (SA)
tel: 089341478

This is the address for the registry office in Cava. I was hoping to find email addresses for both towns, as it would be easier and quicker to email for the information, but I am not having luck tracking down that information.
dsluvsms

Post by dsluvsms »

Thank you! So do I just compose a letter asking for her birth certificate along with the information you said to include? Do I offer to pay a fee? How does that work? This is the first time that my search has brought me out of the US. Sorry for my ingnorance.

A neat little side note....my husband works for the Redemporist order that was founded by St Alphonsus Ligori who ended his ministry/life in Pagani. Not sure why that was exciting to me...but it was...I'm geeky like that! :D
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

We're all a little "geeky" like that! :-)

Here is a link to an Italian form letter generator. Your letter should be in Italian, and you should send a self-addressed but UNstamped envelope along with your request. Do not send money until requested to do so. Many comunes do not require a fee.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Be sure to format your address like this:

Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza B. D'Arezzo
84016 - Pagani (SA)
Italy

T.
dsluvsms

Post by dsluvsms »

Thank you. The letter is going out today! :D