Question about where to apply for dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Question about where to apply for dual citizenship

Post by Squigy »

Hi, all. I told my siblings about the dual citizenship, and they want to get it with me. Only problem is, I live in VA, my brother lives in Florida, and my sister lives in NC (she most likely won't get it). Where would we all go to submit our application after I gather all the documents, seeing as we each fall under the jurisdiction of different consulates?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Question about where to apply for dual citizenship

Post by ricbru »

Each one of you must apply to the closest consulate of the town where you are legally resident. This is what italian law states
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

ricbru wrote:Each one of you must apply to the closest consulate of the town where you are legally resident. This is what italian law states
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Do you know how they would use the documents I gather if we apply separately? It seems silly to get them all twice, or even thrice. Thanks.
My Italian surnames:

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

If you all start a process in one consulate (because you all belong to that consulate) for sure you will need only one copy of everything.
But if you apply to separate consulates, you start 3 different burocracy process, so you for sure need 3 copies of each paper.
One thing you can do is that when each of you apply to separate consulate, tell the guy that your siblings are applying to other consulate, so when US civil records about your ancestors will be transcribed in the civil record office of the town where he came from, the registrar will know that he don't need to transcribe it 3 times. Just in case!
I hope I was clear and it helps
bye Riccardo
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

ricbru wrote:If you all start a process in one consulate (because you all belong to that consulate) for sure you will need only one copy of everything.
But if you apply to separate consulates, you start 3 different burocracy process, so you for sure need 3 copies of each paper.
One thing you can do is that when each of you apply to separate consulate, tell the guy that your siblings are applying to other consulate, so when US civil records about your ancestors will be transcribed in the civil record office of the town where he came from, the registrar will know that he don't need to transcribe it 3 times. Just in case!
I hope I was clear and it helps
bye Riccardo
Thanks so much for your advice, Riccardo! Just one more question; does this mean we would have to order two (or three) birth certs. from Italy, or can I make a copy of each document to send to my siblings?
My Italian surnames:

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Squigy, you need to get 3 copies of birth certificate from Italy, no scans of photocopies, they are not accepted.
Remeber, the birth certificates need to have both parents names on it
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

ricbru wrote:Squigy, you need to get 3 copies of birth certificate from Italy, no scans of photocopies, they are not accepted.
Remeber, the birth certificates need to have both parents names on it
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
I see. Again, thank you for the advice!
My Italian surnames:

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

it was my pleasure, if you need any help you know where I'm
bye Riccardo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Squiggy, another option is to research which consulate appears to have the quickest turnaround time and/or be the most lenient and apply there first.

Once approval has been granted, other family members can apply at their own consulate by simply providing their own documents (his/her own birth and marriage certificates) and referencing the file number assigned by the first consulate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

it means that other siblings need to wait about one year.
Yes sometimes italian consulate in USA give citizenship in few weeks or month, but it doesn't mean that all the documents were already transcribe at civil record office of the ancestor of the town where he came from.
Sometimes first consulate gives the citizenship, and later when you contact civil record office in italy, they reply saying that documents never arrived from consulate.
The process to get citizenship is abot 550 days from the moment you apply. This is how long it takes the italian burocracy for the entire process
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

ricbru wrote:The process to get citizenship is abot 550 days from the moment you apply. This is how long it takes the italian burocracy for the entire process
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Riccardo, after two previous visits to the New York consulate, I sent my final application and documents package by registered mail on 27 June 2008. The letter from the consulate stating they approved my application and forwarded my documents to Roccasecca was dated just two weeks later, 11 July 2008. I applied for and obtained my Italian passport in January, 2009 - the first opportunity I had to return to New York City.

Having said that, to this day I do not know if Roccasecca has registered my documents. As always, I have heard nothing from them at all and, quite frankly, I am afraid to inquire. :?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Dear Johhny,
at this point since we are talkig you applied almost 2 years ago, I guess all the US civil records were already transcribed.
You can always have a proof, requesting to Roccasecca registrar to have the birth marriage and death certificates of your ancestors, and birth+marriage certificates of you and your close family members.
Also you can request to AIRE (Population record office for italian citizens living abroad) to your italian ID (Carta dì identità) issued by Roccasecca population office.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Riccardo,

I am sure you are correct but as you can find in other posts of mine, Roccasecca has never responded to any of my requests, whether by postal mail or email. After waiting eight months, I was only able to get my grandfather's birth and marriage records because an American living in Italy (I met on one of these boards) offered to drive to Roccasecca and see what was taking so long. The stato civile clerk made many excuses and then gave her the documents which she in turn mailed to me.

Are you sure about the Carta dì identità? I have read that US consulates cannot issue the carta; only Schengen consulates. The only other choice being to establish residenza in Italy and then apply at the local questera.

I am trying to plan my next trip to Italy; I think I will have to set aside a full day to visit Roccasecca and argue with the clerks.
Carmine

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Johnny, from my experience, some registrar are not really happy to cooperate and to reply.
So sometimes I need to do several phone callse to speed up the process, to understand many things, to get tips.
Most of my job must to be done on the phone.
Because I ask info, and they tell me how to do the request.
It is a job where you need a lot of time and a lot of patience.

About Carta di identità, one of my clients were resident in South Africa as italian citizens, and they sent me, as copy of their ID, their brand new carta di identità issued from the municipality in italy, from their AIRE.
For sure that carta di identità has not value in USA.
It has value in Italy, and it is good to travel in Europe.
I don't know if it can be requested through consulate or not.
I should check
I hope I was clear this time. If you need any help you know where I'm

bye Riccardo
johnnyonthespot wrote:Riccardo,

I am sure you are correct but as you can find in other posts of mine, Roccasecca has never responded to any of my requests, whether by postal mail or email. After waiting eight months, I was only able to get my grandfather's birth and marriage records because an American living in Italy (I met on one of these boards) offered to drive to Roccasecca and see what was taking so long. The stato civile clerk made many excuses and then gave her the documents which she in turn mailed to me.

Are you sure about the Carta dì identità? I have read that US consulates cannot issue the carta; only Schengen consulates. The only other choice being to establish residenza in Italy and then apply at the local questera.

I am trying to plan my next trip to Italy; I think I will have to set aside a full day to visit Roccasecca and argue with the clerks.