Pica Brooklyn 1950's

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bas392

Pica Brooklyn 1950's

Post by bas392 »

Hi

I am looking for my mother who immigrated from Italy in 1953 (she was 17) to Brooklyn NY. She was sponsored by maternal uncle and came alone to NY. Her last name was Pica and she would be 73 or 74 today. Any assistance would be appreciated!
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Pica Brooklyn 1950's

Post by oilman19 »

Hi bas392,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will be able to help find this record for you. What was your mother's 1st name? Do you know her uncle's full name? This info may help the searchers.

Good luck.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
bas392

Post by bas392 »

Thanks for the reply Jim but I do not know my birth mothers first name as this is an adoption in a sealed record state. I do have info that states she had a short marriage in around 1955 or 1956 which resulted in an annulment. I was advised to check the NYC Dept. of records Municiple archives for any record of a marriage with a female with the surname of Pica and hopefully obtain her first name. I can then cross reference it with the ancestry.com immigration records for 1953. I am located in South Jersey and have not made the pilgrimage to NY. Perhaps someone in this forum hangs out in the Municiple archives and would like the challenge of looking this up! I welcome any thoughts!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

iN WWW.CASTLEGARDEN.ORG there is a listing for a Rosa Pica aged 18 destined to a brother in Long Island City (near brooklyn) coming from pietrapetosa and another named Antonia Pica also aged 18 no origin information nor destination indicated. =Peter=
~Peter~
bas392

Post by bas392 »

Thanks Peter! Is Antonia a female name?

The non-identification I received from the Brooklyn orphanage I came from states that my mother was 17 when she immigrated to US--however this could be an error from the orphanage.

I was born in August 1959, my birth mother was 23 at the time, I figure she was born in Italy around 1936. My birth mother's father (my grand father) was born in Italy in 1908, a farmer by profession and was listed as presumed dead by the italian government for he had been a prisoner of war in a Russian camp in WW2.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes indeed, ANTONIA is a female name

Since he is presumed dead then sdend an e-mail in english and italian (get help) and send to the director of the italian soldiers killed in war (your case ww11) dss.direttore@onorcaduti.difesa.it

You also might wish to send a request to the International red Cross (in english but takes a long time) at www.icrc.org/eng/contact-archives so that you will find the town of origin, biographical data etc.

Both are free of charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found a:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Giuseppina Pica
Name: Giuseppina Pica
Arrival Date: 13 Nov 1953
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian

Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Homeland
no age ....
and:
about Savina Pica
Name: Savina Pica
Arrival Date: 1 Oct 1953
Birth Location: Italy
Port of Departure: Cannes, France

Ship Name: Constitution
no age...

maybe it are some other record...

-more:
only 1 Pica born in 1908 and decesead ( it is presumed) in WWII:

first name: GIOVANNI
surname: PICA
birth date: 14/10/1908
birth place: CIRIGLIANO
death place: unknown
death date: 22 dec 1942

mybe helpful..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bas392

Post by bas392 »

Suanj,

Where did you get Giovanni Pica's informations from. I have been unable to find that?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found the Giovanni Pica death info in WWII by this italian website:
http://www.difesa.it/Ministro/Commissar ... olture.htm
in "Cognome" box( surname box) you write Pica and in "Nome" box( first name box) you write Giovanni;
you will have 3 results for Giovanni Pica died in WWII; one is Giovanni Pica born in 1908 in Cirigliano..
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bas392

Post by bas392 »

Thanks Suanj. I can assume that it is my grandfather. How would I go about tracking down his children-there would be two boys and a girl-the girl would be my mother.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

without the first name of your biological mother.. it is a problem.. a big problem... knowing her first name, we can find, with certainty the immigration record... the problem is to find the uncle in Brooklyn.. I no read all military records, but I found that 2 Pica from Cirigliano was in NY:
NAME: Richard Pica
BIRTH: 23 Jul 1895 - Cirglono
RESIDENCE: Queens, New York
death: 6 Mar 1990 Long Island City, Queens, New York

NAME: Peter Pica
BIRTH: 17 Oct 1892 - Cerighano
RESIDENCE: Astoria, New York
death: 1 Nov 1965 NY

I cannot find a Pica from Cirigliano died in Brooklyn... maybe it is better to wait the input by your mom marriage record.....
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
maureenfirst

Re: Pica Brooklyn 1950's/update 2020

Post by maureenfirst »

10 years latter I have built an ancestry tree and Peter Pica (1892) and Richard Pica(1895) from Cirigliano that are mentioned above by Suanj are indeed relatives. Up date: my original NY birth certificate lists Josephine Pica (Giueseppina) listed above by Suanj as my birth mom. I am unable to find much on her with the exception of her immigration record :
about Giuseppina Pica
Name: Giuseppina Pica
Arrival Date: 13 Nov 1953
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy

Can anyone help to lead me in the direction to locate Josephine Pica- probably from Cirigliano Italy born 1936 or 37 please? Thank you in advance.
maureenfirst

Post by maureenfirst »

Can anyone help to lead me in the direction to locate Josephine Pica- probably from Cirigliano Italy born 1936 or 37 please? Thank you in advance.
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ffusiak »

You can also possibly search the Brooklyn Newspapers at the following - https://bklyn.newspapers.com/search/#
maureenfirst

Post by maureenfirst »

Thank you ffusiak- I will give that source a try