Looking for family origins and history

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TexasBullet

Looking for family origins and history

Post by TexasBullet »

Hello all, I'm new here and have been doing what research I can do.

I am looking for any help with the last name: Vigil
Spelling variations: Vigliotto, Vigliotti, Beglietto

From what I've found the name is first found in Piedmont, Piemonte, Pedemons, a territorial division of northern Italy at the foot of the Alps, consisting of the the provinces of Alessandria, Cuneo, Novara and Turin. History dates back to 49 BC.

Regarding Spain: The name is first found in the town of Vigil, Asturias on the Bay of Biscay in Spain.

Any information about the family name/legacy/history and it's origins will be most appreciative. There does seem to be a family crest, with attachment to nobility or royalty at some point.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

MV
Life is a journey worth living.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Looking for family origins and history

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum, MV! :-)

Here are some additional resources regarding Italian names...

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... names.html

Of the names you mention, "Vigliotti" has a large distribution in Italy today, with a concentration in the Campania Region. According to the name distribution site below, there does not exist "Vigil" or "Beglietto" in Italy today.

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

HOWEVER...there are 23 listings in the Italian Phone book for "Vigil"
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&dv=&ind=

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Texas bullet the VIGLIOTTI family crest can be seen at www.stemmario.it and just put in Vigliotti in search box. History can be further researched for the background to the crest

Vigliotti is derived from the base surname GHIGLIA and located in Piemonte, Emilia..and Campania based upon VIGLIA. The surname Vigliotti is listed in the Italian surname dictionary and going back has German roots. =Peter=
~Peter~
TexasBullet

Post by TexasBullet »

Thanks guys.

This is all useful information. I'm learning a lot and appreciate it.

I'm trying to learn how the original name was changed when they went to Spain and its origins and roots. Also, any ideas on how the crest was attached to the Pope?

Well, thanks again. Look forward to much more enlightening.

Ciao
Life is a journey worth living.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You might try hiring a researcher if you do not wish to research more detailed facts surrounding your family genealogy. For starters you might wish to google it and put in the title VIGLIOTTI SURNAME GENEALOGY SPAIN and or other variations that might shed some leads for you. =Peter=
~Peter~