need help finding information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

need help finding information

Post by hollynwillis »

Hello,
I am trying to find out where in Italy my family is from. My gggpa immigrated from Italy to the US in 1873. His natraulazation papers do not state where in Italy he came from. If anybody can help me I would appreciate it. I have found records that show our last name was changed when he came here. It was Moselle, and was changed to Mosell. Thank you.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: need help finding information

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum, :D

The name Moselle does not exist in Italy today. However Mosella, Moselli, and Mosello do. All are fairly rare names, so if you can provide some more information, full name, where he migrated to, approximate birth date, we might be able to track him down.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Welcome! Since he emigrated so early you're not going to see a town name on the record- that you usually find on later ship records.

The best thing to do might be to try to find out if there are any known siblings / cousins, etc. that came over LATER and see if their ship records have a town listed on them.

I'm assuming you checked military records for all known family members too? Sometimes the town is listed on the draft cards.

Aliza
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

Well he came to usa in 1873, he was born in 1844. His name is andrew moselle. all of the children were born in illinois after he married my gggma huldah allen. I have looked through all of the records/ census they all say italy, but nothing more. I have not been able to find a ship's manifest with his name and I dont know if he came with any other family members. I found information that his father's name was Stefan. That is all I can find. I appreciate all of the help.
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

Also I know that he grew grapes and brought them over with him and grew them here. Don't know if that helps or not.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

So you don't have any siblings names? Other relatives that came over?

Are there any older people in the family that you could interview again and ask what they know about the original spelling of the name? Misbris is right- the name is very rare, even Moselle doesn't turn much up.

This is a tough one so you're going to have to dig deep for more clues.

I think you may need to go back to some family interviewing if at all possible. Usually when you get stuck, the best thing is to go back to the drawing board.

I know that in my case- there was some misinformation about the town origin and I got stuck. I talked to a great aunt- who led me to a cousin that I didn't even know I had- and that cousin had an original birth record from Italy tucked away somewhere for my great-grandfather's sister!

You never know what you might find. Talk to everyone that you can in the family. If you're nearby, go through old pics with them, sometimes that triggers something.

You can also look for a will / obituary that might list siblings' names.
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

I have searched throiugh documents and pictures w/ my gma and everybody else that is older in our family has passed or is not doing well. I have nobody else to ask for this information. Thank You.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

OK- can you give us his full name and DOB as well as what records you have on him so far?

We'll do a search and see if we can dig anything else up that might help.
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

well his name is Andrew Mosell he was born in jan 1844? not sure of the date. He came to the usa in 1873. He was born in italy as well as his mother and father. I have found nowhere if he had any siblings and nobody in my family knows. We have foind that the possible name of his parents are stefan and nellie marie. I have heard we are from the north, my gggpa grew grapes and brought them to america and grew them here as well. Thanks!
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

OK-- So he was about 29 or so when he came.

Were any of his kids born in Italy?
What part of the US was he live/ settle in? And what was his wife's name? (So I'll know it's him if I find a census record).
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

all of his children with my gggma were born in illionis, where they lived and that is where he was natraulized, her name was Huldah Allen. he also lived in montana where he passed. I know nothing about him before he came to the us
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

I was hoping I might find her or one of the kids coming over but it looks like it's not going to be that easy, huh? :)

OK- I'll do some searching for you when I get a chance. I'm pretty slammed with work at the moment.
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

Thanks for any help you can give me!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I see some younger Andrea (which would be Andrew) Mosele with the surname spelled this way coming from a town in Italy called Asiago on the Steve Morse website. I wonder if this could be the spelling of the surname for which you are searching. Perhaps someone who has access to earlier passenger lists search using this spelling of the surname. Thanks.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There are currently 357 individuals in the Italian white pages with the surname spelled as Mosele. Unfortunately, they are from all different towns and provinces.

http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html