2 questions regarding consulate requirements

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

2 questions regarding consulate requirements

Post by DeFilippis78 »

1- Does the consulate need to see my passport as well as my childrens' and husbands at an appointment?

2-Do they need my husbands birth certificate now or only when he applies through me later on if my citizenship is recognized?

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: 2 questions regarding consulate requirements

Post by johnnyonthespot »

1- I was required to provide copies of both my driver's license and my US passport at the time I submitted my documents. I presume that if you do not have a US passport already, you can simply state that fact, although I am not 100% certain on this point. It is possible the consulate wants your passport as proof that you are, indeed, a current US citizen...

2- Your husband's birth certificate should not be needed until he submits his own jure matrimoni application.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

What about your son's passport. Did you have to show that when you applied?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Since my son was already an adult, they told me he "would have to apply later, on his own."

After my own citizenship was granted, I figured out that New York (and at least a few other consulates) would allow me to simply register his birth as I would for a new "child" and so that is what I did. Using that technique, I submitted the required form ( http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... to_civile/ ), certified/translated copy of my son's birth certificate, and a photocopy of my Italian passport. His passport was not necessary. Now that he is registered, he can apply for his own Italian passport whenever he chooses to do so.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Oh I see. So since my kids are all under age I should be able to just show their birth certificates and not worry about them having passports? Its just mine they will want to see?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

DeFilippis78 wrote:Oh I see. So since my kids are all under age I should be able to just show their birth certificates and not worry about them having passports? Its just mine they will want to see?
Well, I think so.

One thing I know for certain, when you apply for the children's Italian passports (and possibly your own), you will need your husband's consent. There are new rules going in place in (it seems) just about all civilized countries to ensure that one parent cannot remove children to another country without the other parent's consent.
Italian Consulate New York wrote:
For the issuance of the passport, the application must be presented at the Passport Office with the following documentation:

- special application signed by both parents or by one of them with the written and signed consent of the other; if one of the parents is not an italian or EU citizen and does not appear in person at the Consulate, his or her signature must be acknowledged by a notary public.
- two photos (identical, full-face and in colour) of the minor.

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... assaporti/
US State Department wrote:
Minors Under Age 16

Must apply in person with both parents/guardian(s)

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/mi ... s_834.html
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thats the same here in the US. When I picked up applications for them they told me that both me and my husband must be present and sign the application in person or I cant apply for them at all. Its understandable.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Should the spousal consent form be translated as well?

johnnyonthespot wrote:
DeFilippis78 wrote:Oh I see. So since my kids are all under age I should be able to just show their birth certificates and not worry about them having passports? Its just mine they will want to see?
Well, I think so.

One thing I know for certain, when you apply for the children's Italian passports (and possibly your own), you will need your husband's consent. There are new rules going in place in (it seems) just about all civilized countries to ensure that one parent cannot remove children to another country without the other parent's consent.
Italian Consulate New York wrote:
For the issuance of the passport, the application must be presented at the Passport Office with the following documentation:

- special application signed by both parents or by one of them with the written and signed consent of the other; if one of the parents is not an italian or EU citizen and does not appear in person at the Consulate, his or her signature must be acknowledged by a notary public.
- two photos (identical, full-face and in colour) of the minor.

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... assaporti/
US State Department wrote:
Minors Under Age 16

Must apply in person with both parents/guardian(s)

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/mi ... s_834.html
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Donald66 wrote:Should the spousal consent form be translated as well?
I am not sure what other consulates are doing, but New York has a bilingual form which must be used, so no translation would be necessary.

See the link "Download the authorization form here" on this page: http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... assaporti/
Carmine

Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Johnny,

The "Application for issue or renewal of passport for children under 18", correct?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Donald66 wrote:Johnny,

The "Application for issue or renewal of passport for children under 18", correct?
A few inches down from the top of the webpage linked in my previous message is the line "Download the authorization form here". Clicking that line will download a Microsoft Word blank document that looks like the one below. I am sure the other consulates use something similar.

Carmine

Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Johnny,

Thanks, I found it.

Does my 12 yr old have to accompany me to the appointment? I only made it for myself.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

No, it is not necessary for him to be there.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Donald,

Sorry; are we talking about a passport appointment or a jure sanguinis application submittal appointment?

Jure sanguinis, I would think not required (though she might bring out some affection on the part of the consular official :) ). Passport appointment, hmmm...., not sure about that one.
Carmine

Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Johnny,

It's a jure sanguinis appointment.