Looking for a Giuseppe Castrovinci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Looking for a Giuseppe Castrovinci

Post by siskojnash »

I am looking for the passenger list for Giuseppe Castrovinci. I don't see what I'm looking for on the ellis island site. His wife, Marianna Patella, sailed on the Spartan Prince in 1899. His brother, Filippo, arrived in 1903. Her sister, Carmela Patella, arrived in 1904. Marianna said in the manifest that she was going to stay with her husband Castrovinci. So he must have arrived sometime before that, most likely within the two years previous to that. Does anyone have any idea where I can search for this information? Could it have been a part of Castle Garden records, or are those kept with Ellis Island also?
Also, I tried to look up the passenger list for Louis Failla, who sailed on the S.S. Dante Alighieri from Palermo on 2/16/1924 and arrived in New York on 2/29/1924, on the ancestry site. I couldn't find the scan of this document. I saw it on ellis island, but don't want to pay for a framed picture or anything. I just want to add it to my fiancee's family tree. Could someone please post this document, or maybe let me know where else to look to be able to get it?
I have also been trying to get pictures of these ships, but haven't had any luck yet. They are the S.S. Marco Minghetti, Spartan Prince, San Giorgio, and the Liguria. Could someone please post these pictures also? Ancestry only seems to have the pictures of certain ships. Thank you for your time.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Looking for a Giuseppe Castrovinci

Post by Tessa78 »

Did Giuseppe and Maria have children - Francesco, Giuseppa and Cosmo?

If yes, then do you have a 1900 Census on this family?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

On Marianna's manifest I can see Francesco Castrovinci and Antonino Castrovinci a few lines below her name. They are going to the same address but to brother Nunzio. A search on Nunzio may bring you to the manifest for Giuseppe. Maybe they traveled together...

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Can you please post the 1900 census? I tried searching there for their names a couple days ago at the library and didn't see anything. I don't know anything about their children, just that they had them according to a family story. Marianna supposedly thought her children were better than her sister, Carmela's. There was a split in the family, so I have been trying to find out whatever happened to that whole side of the family. There must have been more to the story.
The only problem with searching for Nunzio is that I have no birth dates or anything for Nunzio. I would think, though, that Nunzio is married to Anna M Patella. I came across that when I was searching Palermo records. They were married in August 1895, I think. There seem to be alot of Nunzios and Giuseppe Castrovincis in the Ellis Island site. I haven't come across a Giuseppe Castrovinci who sailed before 1899, though. Shouldn't I have seen a link for him if it was there?
I can't even ask my fiancee's family about this, since they don't know anything except that they remembered there being doctors in the family. That's the only clue I have.
I just thought of one other thing: my fiancee's grandmother talked about a Sadie Castrovinci. I found out a month ago that she was a cousin. I found her family in the 1930 US Census. Her parents were John and Jennie. I don't know exactly how to place them. I put her father as a brother of Philip (Filippo) Castrovinci, who was Giuseppe's brother.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Giuseppe's name could have been transcribed badly which might make him hard to find.
Giuseppe could have had another name (second first name) by which he was known. He could be listed under that name.

I found a Nunzio Castrovinci who immigrated from Frazzano, Messina in Nov. 1897... and interestly enough, he is married to a "Marianna" who was also born there (1868 and 1874 respectively). He is a tailor living in New London, Conn. Anything sound familiar?

I'll post the 1900 Census in the next post.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you have an approximate DOB for Giuseppe?

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I've never seen that document. I only have birth information for Philip (Filippo) and his wife Carmela Patella. Philip was born October 8, 1973 and Carmela on May 8, 1881. The only mention I've found of a Nunzio was in the marriage index I mentioned to Anna M Patella.
I haven't even seen any actual index for Philip and Carmela, much less Joseph and Marianna. Philip and Carmela's second child, Rosaria (Sarah) had Castrovinci as a last name. She was born in 1901. They had a baby a year or so before her, but that baby died, according to the family story I have.
I know they were married sometime before 1903, since Filippo arrived on the S.S. Massilia that year, and Carmela and Rosaria came about 9 months later. I don't know about a date of birth for Giuseppe. Makes it really difficult to place them, right? I even saved a link to a site that had Giuseppe in Sicily with his family. The only problem was that I didn't see Filippo as a brother. I saved it just in case the person didn't know. I started out researching my fiancee's family tree wanting to find out about this part of it, and also their parents.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This is the 1900 Census that MAY be your Giuseppe...
This man is a Barber... DOB 1855
He lives in Manhattan on Madison St. with wife Maria (DOB 1859), and children.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1675/c ... census.jpg

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I just checked the passenger list for Marianna on the Spartan Prince. She was listed as being 25 in 1899, which would make her year of birth 1874. Do you have the document, or documents, that show Nunzio Castrovinci with Marianna? That one sounds like a definite possibility. I wonder if Giuseppe's name was Giuseppe Nunzio Castrovinci, or something. Maybe he wanted to go with his middle name.
That happened with my mom's two uncles, as I found out when I couldn't find information on them at first while trying to research my own family.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The document I referenced above was a US Passport application for Nunzio.
Here it is for furture reference. It may hold a clue that we don't realize just yet...or not. :-)

Children (6) were listed:
Rosaria born in Italy 1895.
Giuseppina born in NY 1899 (based on notation to the right on doc)
Lorenzo born in NY 1902
Filippo born in NY 1904
Federico born in NY 1906
Francesco born in NY 1908.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2948 ... uspass.jpg

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I think this very well could be him. I wonder if Philip's Rosaria, born in 1901, could have been named for this Rosaria. Would it be possible to post the passenger list for the S.S. Caramania, which arrived November 19, 1897 from Palermo? The Marianna who arrived on the Spartan Prince lived in Frazzano before she emigrated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to do it....

You want the SS Caramania, Nov. 19, 1897 from Palermo...

what passenger name?

T.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

It says Nunzio Castrovinci, but if there's a Giuseppe listed, that also. Would it also be possible to get a picture of the ship itself? I just read the document for exact details. He apparently was naturalized at New York or New London on October 2, 1913. His residence is listed as New London, Connecticut. Do you think the naturalization documents would be available for him? I would love to show this to my fiancee's family. Would the address 242 Elizabeth Street in New York mean anything? Marianna was going there, and so were several others, after sailing on the Spartan Prince.
Is there any way possible to type in an address and find out a history of the people who lived at that address?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I looked for the Nautralization documents online and haven't found them as yet...

This is the manifest...he is on line 18 and going to cousin Vincenzo Martino at 242 Elizabeth St. NYC (same address Marianna was going to)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4128 ... nifest.jpg

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

His Naturalization Index Card provides some reference numbers. Contact the Supreme Court in New London, Conn. and see what you can find out...

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1779 ... tindex.jpg

T.

edit...his is the second card down...