Bertoldo surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
daveslondon

Bertoldo surname

Post by daveslondon »

Does anyone have the family tree for this surname: bertoldo?
My ancestor with surname "bertoldo" migrated to Brazil around 1870-90(?).
I am not quite sure what's her/his name but my grand grandpa's name is MANOEL BERTOLDO DE OLIVEIRA.Any help would be immensely appreciated. Regards
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Bertoldo surname

Post by maestra36 »

Hello and welcome to this forum-
There is a database of Italians to Brazil from 1858 to 1899 and, although there is no one in the database with the Bertoldo surname, there are 18 individuals in the database with the Bertoldi surname. The first names in the database are Albino, Attilo, Beniamino, Giovanni, Giuseppe, Giuseppina, Luigia, Maria, Marianna, Paola, Pietro, and Regina. Do any of these first names mean anything in your family?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

on the website www.familysearchlabs.org there are some records online from Brazil. You may find something related to your family there
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 36 Bertoldo listing from 1891 to 1914 at Sao paulo entries into Brazil but what is the family country of origin?? =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I see on the website www.familysearch.org -Manoel Bertoldo and spouse Joana De Oliveira married in Brazil after 1913. No parents given for him but her parents are listed as Antonio Pires De Oliveira and Maria Ferreira.

Thee are other entries on this website for the Bertoldo surname in Brazil, but I can't determine if any are related to your ancestry.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The name(s) you furnished are Brazilian indicating that the family origin could be italy, Portugual or Spain so perhaps you can dig a little deeper and come up with family oral history about origin of family if not something more concrete?? =Peter=
~Peter~
daveslondon

Post by daveslondon »

maestra36 wrote:I see on the website www.familysearch.org -Manoel Bertoldo and spouse Joana De Oliveira married in Brazil after 1913. No parents given for him but her parents are listed as Antonio Pires De Oliveira and Maria Ferreira.

Thee are other entries on this website for the Bertoldo surname in Brazil, but I can't determine if any are related to your ancestry.
Hey I think You found them but the thing is his wife's name was RITA MARIA DOS SANTOS which is not the one showing on the website. However , there's a surname "OLIVEIRA" there too.

Manoel Bertoldo son's name is EUSEBIO SACERDOTE OLIVEIRA (born in 14/06/1894).

They lived in MINAS GERAIS.

Help me guys :( this is so confusing
daveslondon

Post by daveslondon »

maestra36 wrote:I see on the website www.familysearch.org -Manoel Bertoldo and spouse Joana De Oliveira married in Brazil after 1913. No parents given for him but her parents are listed as Antonio Pires De Oliveira and Maria Ferreira.

If you see , Manoel bertoldo's spouse died few days after the same month in which OSEBIO SACERDOTE DE OLIVEIRA was born. isn't it a coincidence ?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I should tell you that the information which appears on the website www.familysearch.org is contributed by other researchers. Some of it is extracted from actual records whereas some of it is contributed by researchers who only know information through oral family history or word of mouth. So the information may or may not be accurate. Having said that, I need to go back to the website to see what info you are talking about concerning Manoel's spouse whom you say died only a few days after a birth. If the same person, then she possibly died from childbirth complications.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Also when posting on this website, it is best to state any specific information which you currently have in your possession. Otherwise those of us on this forum are blindly trying to help you.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The other thing is that the name Manoel Bertoldo may be common Brazil and there may be no connection between individuals with this name
daveslondon

Post by daveslondon »

maestra36 wrote:I should tell you that the information which appears on the website www.familysearch.org is contributed by other researchers. Some of it is extracted from actual records whereas some of it is contributed by researchers who only know information through oral family history or word of mouth. So the information may or may not be accurate. Having said that, I need to go back to the website to see what info you are talking about concerning Manoel's spouse whom you say died only a few days after a birth. If the same person, then she possibly died from childbirth complications.
Thank you so much for the help!
This is exactly what I thought that his spouse died from childbirth complications.

I have only got Eusebio sacerdote oliveira's marriage certificate which shows the names of his parents MANOEL BERTOLDO DE OLIVEIRA and RITA MARIA DOS SANTOS.

EUSEBIO SACEDORTE, their son, was born in FAZENDA SANTA MARTA / MUGITINGA/MINAS GERAIS.

My family say that they grew tobacco , and his Portuguese accent was rather strange.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I'm sorry, but I don't see either Rita Maria Dos Santos or Eusebio Sacerdote De Oliveira in the database. I also don't have a very good understanding of last names in Brazil.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

so what makes you think the family is of Italian origin??? While Bertoldo is listed as an Italian surname in Italy it may also be portuguese as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I am also surprised by the Sacerdote in Eusebio's name. Are you aware that in Italian the word sacerdote means priest and yet you are mentioning his marriage record?