Birth's before Marriage?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Birth's before Marriage?

Post by jamiecapaldi »

My GGGrandparents had their first child in 1884, and then followed with another 3 more Children before marrying in 1894, Cassino, Italy.
10 Years of having Children before marrying seems not very Catholic to me?
Does anybody have any information on this topic please?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Birth's before Marriage?

Post by maestra36 »

After the unification of Italy-which took some 10 years to complete-the civil state did not recognize church marriages which took place. So if the couple married in the church, but had not had a civil ceremony, their children were considered illegitimate in the eyes of the civil state and, until they married in a civil ceremony, were not considered legitimate in the eyes of the law. So it is possible this couple had had a church wedding long before they had the civil one.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I should add, that I am assuming, that the 1894 marriage was a civil one.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Peg,

It is a good point, but the timing seems a bit off to me as their first child was born nearly 20 years after unification (or, ten years after the completion of unification as noted). It seems unlikely that they entered into a church-recognized marriage before 1865/1875 and then did not have any children until 1884, don't you agree?

Nevertheless, it was still a wishy-washy period in Italian history so there may very well be an explanation which does not include illegimatcy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

In many areas not marrying civilly was a form of protest. I have seen it a lot mostly in the former Papal States where they went as far as to not name the mother on a child's birth record if the parents weren't married civilly. Check out Ceccano for example. Probably 75% of births there after 1870 had no mother named.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The only point I was trying to make, Carmine, was that the couple probably had a church marriage prior to the birth of their children, and that that marriage was not recognized by the civil state. The 1894 marriage was probably a civil one and not a church marriage. And, as Ann has pointed out above, in many areas of Italy, not marrying civilly was a form of protest. I shouldn't have mentioned the 10 year unification process in my above post, as mentioning that was obviously misleading. I wasn't saying they entered into a church marriage before the unification process.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Thank you all for your replies.
I do not know if it was a civil marriage or Church? I got the information from my Ggrandfathers Birth certificate.

I think they might have had a church wedding prior to their civil according to the following record i found.
Can anyone please make out if it would be 1885 or 1890?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Looks to me that the census is saying that they had 26 years years of completed marriage, meaning they married in 1885.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Thanks, so you would be correct with the Church marriage before the Civil in 1894!
They married in Cassino in 1894, do you think they would have married in the same place, in 1885?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There is no way of telling for sure, but I think Cassino would be a good starting point.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Thank you!