Giuliana, Palermo, Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
amazedandgratefulpj

Giuliana, Palermo, Sicily

Post by amazedandgratefulpj »

We will be visiting Sicily in September and would like to visit our ancestral town in Giuliana and do some research. Neither of us, infortunately, speaks Italian so we are wondering how we are going to access records, etc when we are there. Also, our understanding is that it is a very long, windy trip to get there so we may hire a driver and interpreter. Any suggestions about how to go about this would be most welcome.

Also trying to do some research about an orphanage in Palermo, Don Bosco, that my husband's father was at between 1913 and 1927.

Thank you very much.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Giuliana, Palermo, Sicily

Post by PeterTimber »

www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/26-giuliana is website for adminstrative part of town and www to the right is tourist site.

Sicily is not the moon and many people speak english and I am sure you can find a cousin or two to help. have yhou looked for any relatives?? =Peter=
~Peter~
amazedandgratefulpj

Post by amazedandgratefulpj »

Thanks for the website - is there any way to research marriage, death, birth records at this end before waiting till we get to Giuliana? We are also going to Polizzi Generosa to check on my side of the family and would like to get a head start if possible. I have cousins in Polizzi - we're not sure about Giuliana. Thanks for your help.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

sorry for the typo..www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/26-giuliana

The address under MUNICIPIO is the location of the records you are seeking UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE and this is the website for the type of documents you might wish to order and most are free of charge
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pdearlsofw ... tters.html

You can also go to the Mormon church family history library nearest your home at www.familysearch.org (for the location) and rent out microfilm for birth,marriage and death for Giuliana from 1820 to 1882 and for Polizzi Generoso 1820 to 1911.

Your concerns about going to Sicily and dealing witgh persons and officials are no more than dealing with people here. Actually you will be talking to people who look like your Aunts and Uncles!!!!!!!!!!!!!=Peter=
~Peter~