non Italian side misspelled last name

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
RosyDay

non Italian side misspelled last name

Post by RosyDay »

Hi, I'm applying in nyc, me-mother-grandfather. My grandfather never became a us citizen. I have all my documents and ready for apostiles and translations.
Can you tell me which documents need apostiles and translations.
Secondly, on my grandparents marriage lic, my grandmother(non Italian side)
misspelled her mother's maiden name, De Felise, should be De Tellis. Her death certificate matches her birth certificate from Italy. Should I worry about this? They were married in NYC 1915 and I can't amend the marriage lic. I do have a letter w a seal from NYC Dept of Records stating that marriage records prior to 1938 cannot be amended or corrected.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: non Italian side misspelled last name

Post by johnnyonthespot »

New York City will most likely not ask for your non-Italian side documents at all. I would not offer them unless asked.

As to translations and apostilles, this seems to be an ever-changing requirement and, from what I can see, it is now being driven by the appointment and "help" services the consulates are using instead of by the actual requirements of Italain law and/or actual consular officials.

In mid-2008, New York required from me (myself -> father -> Italian born and married grandfather):

Apostilles: My own birth and marriage certificates. My father's birth, marriage, and death certificates. My grandfather's death certificate.

Translations: My own birth and marriage certificates. None others. *

As always, your milage may vary.

* As we were married prior to April 27, 1983, my wife was entitled to automatic citizenship the moment mine was recognized. Therefore, I also provided her certified/translated/apostilled birth certiifcate. Note: Automatic citizenship applied only to women who married Italian men prior to that date; not the other way around (a man who married an Italian woman did not receive the same benefit).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

By the way, Rosy, you were born on or after January 1, 1948, correct?

Prior to that date, Italian citizenship was passed only by the father. If you were born before that date, you could not have inherited citizenship from your mother. I sincerely hope that is not the case with you.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
RosyDay

Post by RosyDay »

I was born after 1948.
So, as far as marriage lic, I need translations and apostilles for myself and my parents, but not my grandparents? Did I misunderstand?
This is very confusing.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Your grandfather's Italian documents do not need translation or apostilles.

Your grandfather's US marriage and death certificates need apostilles, but should not need translation.

Your mother's documents require apostilles but not translations.

You most likely will not need your grandmother's or father's documents at all.
Carmine

RosyDay

Post by RosyDay »

Johny thanks for the info.
One more question regarding FORM 1, silly as it may be, since I am going mother-grandfather, do I need to fill out the entire form(GGF,GGM,GF,GM,F,M)
or GF and M only?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

It's a generic form; you only need fill in as many generations as necessary to reach your Italy-born ancestor.

So, yourself, your parents, and your grandparents.
Carmine