How to find a business in Italy...

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

How to find a business in Italy...

Post by lljg »

Hello,

Can anyone help with this question (see my 2nd last post on the Munno/Vollaro thread in the Italian ....Translation forum for more info) -- How can I find who in my family in Italy owns this business that makes ceramic dinnerware and possibly more? My cousin told me that it was about 20 years ago that his uncle went to visit the relatives in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (or somewhere very close). He said they lived on a mountain in a castle (or very very large home). He also said that the family's servants drove better cars than we ever had! I realize that the business may not exist anymore or may be in the hands of another family. But all I believe is that this is the Vollaro family. Thank you for any guidance! :D

Jean
misbris
Master
Master

Re: How to find a business in Italy...

Post by misbris »

These entries look like businesses.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... aria+Capua
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is Luigi Munno in Capua 81043 (CE). Check with www.paginebianche.it and put in Munno on the left and Capua on the right and click Cerca for full name,address and telephone number. =Peter=
~Peter~
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thank you so much Peter and misbris! This is so interesting!

Peter, I checked out the site with all of the information you gave me. So this is a business? How can I tell what type of business it is?

Thanks again! I am SO excited to find out more....!!!!

Jean
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Vollaro's are in the Jewelry business but inthe town of Marcianise and not Capua.

Marcianise is found at www.tuttitalia.it/campania/31-marcianise =Peter=
~Peter~
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi again Peter,

This is getting very exciting. Jewelry business... Do you think it's worth contacting them to see if they are my relatives? And, if so, given that I do not read or write Italian, is this possible? Thanks again for your assistance and guidance!

Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

they most likely speak and read english but you might want to send a form letter in Italian addressed to Potential relatives and include a return envelope and nothing else.

www.initaly.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm =Peter=
~Peter~
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Peter --

Thanks for the news and the link! I thought it would be best to send a letter in Italian!!

Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

misbris wrote:This may be the same family!

http://www.tari.it/aziendetari/dettagli ... .php?id=66
Hi misbris,

Can you translate this site for me?

Thanks!
Jean
Jean

misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Jean, if you look at the top left of the page, you will see a place where you can get the English version of the site.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

misbris wrote:Jean, if you look at the top left of the page, you will see a place where you can get the English version of the site.
Thanks misbris! I totally was missing that!! Sorry :)

Jean
Jean

carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carinthiangirl »

"they most likely speak and read english"
this is very new for me that most italians can speak english (as living in a neighbour-state). :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Well first the economy made it necessary. then mandatory and as higher education was pursued in anticipation of better jobs it became mandatory inthe public school system but hardly as effective. Probably like learning spanish in American schools. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

carinthiangirl wrote:"they most likely speak and read english"
this is very new for me that most italians can speak english (as living in a neighbour-state). :wink:
In my (granted, somewhat limited) experience this is not true at all, that "most italians can speak english".

In larger cities, many of those who routinely deal with tourists are able to communicate in English sufficient. Note: "communicate" as opposed to carrying on in-depth conversations in fluent English.

It can be extremely difficult finding anyone over the age of 30 who can communicate in English outside the cities or tourist trade.

On the other hand, jewelers do a large part of their business with tourists, so unless well off the beaten path, I would expect at least one person working in any given jewelry store to be reasonably fluent.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)