American name??

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Violam
Veteran
Veteran

American name??

Post by Violam »

My Grandfather's name in Italy was, Angelo (J) or (G) Marchese..in America he was also known as Charles (J. G.) Marchese..how can I find if he changed it leaglly? When and where?
"Walk lightly on Mother Earth"
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: American name??

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The only "legal" name change you are likely to find is on his naturalization papers - if he naturalized.

The name used at the top of both the Declaration of Intent and the Petition for Naturalization can be thought of as his "American name". Further down on both of these documents is a section in which he certifies that he entered the US legally in such-and-such city via such-and-such means (usually the name of a ship) on a particular date and under the name of...

So, in other words, you might see his "American" name at the top of the forms and his "Italian" name further down. I have known consulates to accept this as proof of name and/or spelling change in citizenship cases.

By the way, very early naturalization documents - prior to 1905 or so - may not include all of this information.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Violam
Veteran
Veteran

Re: American name??

Post by Violam »

This is super, thatnk you! Funny story. When I found out (death. cert.) that our 'Pa's' name was Angelo, I called my Mom (she passed a few months ago) and told her and she was like, "oh no Linda S. he is Charles"..thats how they really knew him..this is all too cool..Im getting more n more papers. Trying to figure the best way to keep them all..have a great day:-)
"Walk lightly on Mother Earth"