"Admitted"

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

"Admitted"

Post by jennabet »

My grand-father arrived in 1900. I have a record that says he was "Admitted August 4, 1913 - #405951". Does "Admitted" mean nauralized and is #405951 his naturalization record number?

In addition, he marked an "X" instead of signing his name on his son's marriage certificate in 1912. This indicates to me that he could not write and read. How did he become naturalized if he was illiterate -- or were the rules different in 1913?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: "Admitted"

Post by johnnyonthespot »

How about sharing the document with us?

It sounds like it may be a reference to a "Certificate of Arrival" but difficult to be certain. Naturalization certificate numbers (and thus the "C File" number) seem to always be seven digits long.

Do keep in mind that a surprising number of our ancestors made more than one trip to the US. Although they may have thought of themselves as having been here since, for example, 1900 - the date which matters for naturalization purposes is the date that they last arrived. So, it is possible that your grandfather came here the first time in 1900, returned to Italy for as little as a few weeks or as much as several years, and then was "admitted" into the US again in 1913. The 1913 date is the one which would be used for his eventual naturalization - which could have occurred many years later.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Hi Carmine, thanks for the info. It does seems like an arrival number. Actually, I'm doing this research for my boyfriend's grandfather from Calabria. I obtained my own Italian passport in 2001 and recently returned from Abruzzo after living there for eight years.

My boyfriend is retired with sufficient income and we have several options on how to get him back over there permanently with me -- and we are just trying to figure out the best way to go in the shortest amount of time.

At this point, I'm thinking of sending a letter to the Comune in Catanzaro asking for the Certificado di Nascita. Or I could even give them a call. Do you have any experience with how the Comuni in Calabria are responding to these types of requests? From my own experience, Abruzzo seemed to be pretty on top of things, but I don't know about further south.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Jenna,

I would love to hear more about your eight years in Italy and what brought you back. Please feel free to PM me if you don't mind sharing.

>> I obtained my own Italian passport in 2001

So, were you one of the first jus sanguinis cases? :)

My paternal grandparents came from Roccasecca, about 80 miles southeast of Roma in Frosinone province. I have sent several requests for documents to them mostly by Express Mail (so it would look "important") and a few by email. I have never, ever, received a response of any kind.

My maternal grandparents were from Malvito in Consenza province. My requests there have always yielded results in no more than two to three weeks, even the last time when I requested birth/marriage/death certificates for all four of my maternal great-grandparents. Ten documents in all, and they arrived less than two weeks after I mailed my request!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)