Help on Birth Certificate Please!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Help on Birth Certificate Please!

Post by jamiecapaldi »

On a Italian Birth Certificate, the part when it says 'i cornparaso' (has appeared) then the name, (mostly the fathers name). Mine says
'Michele Antonio'
Can somebody please tell me if Michele or Antonio is the first name?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Help on Birth Certificate Please!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The documents I just referred to list the surname first, so I would estimate that Antonio is the first name and Michele the surname.

Looking at the current Italian telephone directory, both Antonio (68) and Michele (92) appear as surnames in equally small numbers.

Can you compare to other birth acts from the same comune and time period?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Sorry, i meant one of them is the middle name and one is the first!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Oh, well in that case :)

I am pretty certain they are written in order, Michele (first name) Antonio (middle name).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Oh ok Thanks!
Reason i asked is because the brother of the person i am looking at on births, on his marriage cert. it shows the dads name as Antonio, but the Italian Birth Certificate shows Michele Antonio?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

When I was in my late teens, I worked in a diner along with two girls who I attended high school with, Paula and Cathy.

We got to talking one night during cleanup and I found out that they had been best friends since childhood and shared a peculiarty regarding their names: Paula was actually christened "Catherine Paula" and Cathy was christened "Paula Catherine". Neither of them liked their first name and so each had decided years before to use her middle name.

I have remarked on this board before that I spent a good part of my life hating my name, Carmine. It is something I have become comfortable with only in the last ten years; if I had had a middle name to work with, I might very well have done the same as Paula/Cathy. :)
Carmine

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Makes sense. Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

jUST AN ADDED FACET TO DOUBLE FIRST NAMES. My first name Peter should have been Peter Anthony but because my extended family had a 5 or 6 Peter Anthony's some were called Peter and others Tony and, as a consequence, my parents wanted Peter rather than Tony as a first name andmerely dropped the Anthony on my birth certificate to ensure this.

Much to my chagrin when I first went looking for my grandfathers entry manifest I found that his name was blended to read PIETRANTONIO as a single one word firstname. His birth record similarly had the same spelling.
I sometimes came across children named UNO, DUE, and TRE (1,2,&3 )

I often wondered what, if any, first names evolved from this numerical sequence. =Peter=
~Peter~