Married children and naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Married children and naturalization

Post by Squigy »

Would a child who was married at 15 be naturalized along with her father? She was married to another man who wasn't a citizen, so wouldn't she have to wait till he naturalized?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Married children and naturalization

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This came up once before and the consensus was that a married female no longer "belongs" to her father but to her husband.

Thus the father's naturalization would have no effect on his married daughter. Her husband's would however (depending on the time frame; before 19?? - 1948 maybe? -a woman automatically naturalized along with her husband.)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

johnnyonthespot wrote:This came up once before and the consensus was that a married female no longer "belongs" to her father but to her husband.

Thus the father's naturalization would have no effect on his married daughter. Her husband's would however (depending on the time frame; before 19?? - 1948 maybe? -a woman automatically naturalized along with her husband.)
Thanks, Carmine, that's what I thought. So age doesn't matter, but dependency?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Squigy wrote: Thanks, Carmine, that's what I thought. So age doesn't matter, but dependency?
Yes, I think we all agreed on that.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)