NY appointment

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

NY appointment

Post by Donald66 »

Just returned from my 1st jure sanguinis appointment.

The interviewer reviewed all the documents and entered the data into the computer. The documents were then all handed back to me, including birth, marriage & child's birth certificate which I had translated. I thought those would be kept?

Secondly, my parents Florida marriage license didnt list that it was their 1st (and only) marriage. Does Florida have a long form marriage license which lists this info? They got married in Dade County.

The USCIS form has to be ordered again as well as the NARA form. Seems all the variations in surnames have to be included on 1 form from each entity, not all variations on multiple responses.

We have 90 days to get the corrections make to the Consulate or we have to been with a new appointment. :cry:
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NY appointment

Post by Donald66 »

Found out late yesterday afternoon that the Dade County Marriage Licenses didnt state what number (1st, 2nd, etc.) marriage was to occur.
As long as both parties werent minors, the County just issued the letter.

My question:

Any idea how I can show that my parents marriage was the 1st for both of them?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

She didn't keep the other documents because they don't want to be responsble for any of them until the entire package is ready for submission. My first trip to New York consulate went about the same.

On my second trip, she went over documents more carefully (and complained about two that she had previously said were okay...) and the ones that she was totally happy with she placed in a large envelope, triple-sealed it with tape, made some notes on the outside, and warned me that I was not to open the envelope under any circumstances. Later, when I had my final corrections, I submitted the new documents along with the sealed envelope.

The reason they inquire about the number of the marriage is that if this was a 2nd, 3rd, etc, marriage for either partner, then the consulate wants to see proof that the previous marriage(s) was dissolved in a legal divorce or as the result of the death of one partner. One could argue that this is totally unnecessary since the jus sanguins law does not require that children be "legitamate" - just that thier Italian bloodline can be proven.

I would ask the Dade County authorities for a formal letter stating what they told you concerning the fact that such detail is not a part of their official records.

Is either or both of your parents still living? If so, prepare an affadavit in which he/she/they swear that he/she/they were not a party to any previous marriage. Be sure to have it signed in the presence of a notary public and have it properly notarized. If your state (that is, the sate where your parent/s reside) apostilles notarized documents (not all do), I would spend the extra money to have the affadavit apostilled as well.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Carmine,

Sadly, both our parents are deceased. In addition, all of our aunts and uncles (accept for 1 with advanced dementia) are deceased as well.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Donald66 wrote:Just returned from my 1st jure sanguinis appointment.

The USCIS form has to be ordered again as well as the NARA form. Seems all the variations in surnames have to be included on 1 form from each entity, not all variations on multiple responses.

We have 90 days to get the corrections make to the Consulate or we have to been with a new appointment. :cry:
I was wondering if you had to do anything further with the local county courts and if all the variations in surnames have to included on one form from the courts as well.

Thanks,
Sophia
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

The interviewer spoke with another consulate employee who was in the room at the time of our meeting & they concluded that the different spellings werent an issue.

Hopefully, this doesnt change @ our next meeting. :)
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

In lieu of the Florida marriage document, would a copy of my parents church issued marriage certificate be acceptable to the Consulate?
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Out of curiousity, when the Consulate gives our applications the green light, does another level of review exist in Italy?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Donald66 wrote:In lieu of the Florida marriage document, would a copy of my parents church issued marriage certificate be acceptable to the Consulate?
My gut reaction is no, it won't suffice. However, as gets discussed occasionally, one could make the case that marriage certificates should not be necessary at all. The question is not, were your parents (grandparents, etc) married, but does your birth certificate (and everyone else in your lineage) plainly show an Italian bloodline.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Donald66 wrote:Out of curiousity, when the Consulate gives our applications the green light, does another level of review exist in Italy?
Another question for which there has been a lot of debate. The consensus is that jus sanguinis cases are decided entirely by the consulate. If you were applying in Italy, the case would be decided by the comune's Stato Civile officer with final approval coming from the Sindaco/Mayor.

Jus matrimonio (citizenship through marriage) cases, on the other hand, are decided by authorities in Rome. The consulate's only role is to ensure that the application is in order before forwarding it to Italy.
Carmine

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Donald66 wrote:

When I made my request of NARA, the online form I submitted has space for one name to be searched. However, in the notes section, I requested specific alternative spellings be searched as well. The one no-records ltr I received just listed his proper name - did not indicate that it searched for alternative spellings. I was planning on simply submitting multiple requests covering all the spellings. This will of course result in multiple "no records" letters. Is this going to be a problem? Should I not be using the online system?
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

When I made my request of NARA, the online form I submitted has space for one name to be searched. However, in the notes section, I requested specific alternative spellings be searched as well. The one no-records ltr I received just listed his proper name - did not indicate that it searched for alternative spellings. I was planning on simply submitting multiple requests covering all the spellings. This will of course result in multiple "no records" letters. Is this going to be a problem? Should I not be using the online system?[/quote]
This is exactly the problem we had this week. The interviewer wanted all various spellings of our grandfathers name listed on the letter from the NARA. I prepared another letter to NARA and requested that the response specifically list all the various spellings I provided.

As an alternative, the interviewer asked that we provide a copy of my initial request (which I didnt bring to the appointment) so that he could see what we asked for and the response we got.