Scottish Ancestors TO Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nightingalejanice

Scottish Ancestors TO Italy

Post by nightingalejanice »

Unlike most folk who are seeking information about ancestors who left Italy, I am trying to find out about a branch of my Scottish family who immigrated to Italy circa 1860s.
I have no idea where to begin searching, how to search or the costs involved.
The data that I do have relating to events in Italy comes from the consular indices and Henry’s testamentary papers registered in Scotland. I am hoping SKS will give me advice on how to proceed.
This is what I know:

Henry Buick was born about 1831 in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland. He died on 26 Aug 1885 in Ronco, Scrivia, Italy.
He lived in Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England where he married
Susan Jane Willis daughter of George Willis on 17 Apr 1854. Susan was born about 1834 in Newcastle upon Tyne.
They had two children in England:
Isabella Buick who was christened on15 Jul 1855. She died in Mar 1933 in Southampton, St Mary, Hampshire, England.
And
William Henry Buick who was christened on 23 Apr 1857
They moved to Abbotshall, Fife, Scotland where Henry worked as a manager at a loom factory and had another child:
Sarah Jane Buick who was born on 11 Feb 1861
They moved to Italy between 1861-1870 and had four more children:
John Wilson Buick was born btw1866/1870 in Genoa, Italy.
George Buick was born btw 1871/1875 in Genoa, Italy. He died in Italy. He was buried in 1871/1875.
James Milne Buick was born btw 1871/1875 in Genoa, Italy.
Stephen George Buick was born 1879 in Genoa, Italy.
After Henry’s death, but before 1892, Susan returned to the UK. Two of the children, Isabella and Stephen can be found in later UK records. I suspect that William Henry married and had children in Italy.
How can I find out if the other children remained in Italy, if they had children etc?
Many Thanks
Janice
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Scottish Ancestors TO Italy

Post by PeterTimber »

Janice there are 31 cities,towns and villages inItaly that have residents sujrnamed HENRY. www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi and put HENRY in upper left and click red arrfrow for distribution of HENRY surname.

Lets start here..! =Peter=
~Peter~
nightingalejanice

Thanks for the tip Peter,
His surname was Buick though, Henry was his christian name.
cheers,
Janice
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Put in Buick. there is only one place in the Liguria region that has a BUICK listed in residence.

I checked the telephone directroy for Liguria region with negative results. Where else in Italy do you think you should research? =Peter=
~Peter~
nightingalejanice

Thanks Peter,
Can you explain a little more about that site please. Does it show the distribution of surnames as they are currently, or is it based on historical data like some other sites that show the distribution of surnames based on historical census data? The information I have shows the younger children being born in this area, and since I can't imagine Buick is a common name in Italy, it seems likely that the individual with the surname Buick shown in that website is probably connected to mine.
To mystify matters further, I have found metion of a few individuals in the US censuses on Ancestry.com who have the surname Buick and were born in Italy. I have earmarked them as possibly being the offspring of one or another of Henry's sons, but would need to establish some sort of link to prove it. In each case however their spoken language is listed as Craotian!
Curiouser and curiouser!
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me,
Janice
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

-They most likely were born in ISTRIA which became part of Croatia after the war . Further the names on the website are supposedly current but sometimes become unlisted or move and the website does bnot keep pace.
If you go to that very same website www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi you will put inthe surname in upper left but this time go stgraight down to the AMERICAN FLAG and click there for persons with that surname in the USA

Since thefre are several states wikth BUICK surnamed individuals try those with familiar first names since they usually stay with families. Go to www.numberway.com for the USA and just put in BUICK and nothing else and click for teir distribtuion byname address and telephone number. =Peter=
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi,
maybe also James back in Scotland:

1901 Scotland Census
about James Buick
Name: James Buick
Estimated birth year: abt 1872