Sanguinis and matrimoni interaction ?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Sanguinis and matrimoni interaction ?

Post by rgaetano »

I am curious about how jury matrimoni and sanguinis could 'interact'.

First, am I correct that jure matrimoni is not a naturalization? In other words, the non Italian in the marriage gains dual citizenship, rather than gaining ItaIian while loosing American?

If so, then consider this. Let's say a dual citizen (through jure sanguinis) man marries a woman with only Italian citizenship, and they do so in the US.

Through the marriage she can become a US citizen, but by doing so, must she lose or renounce her Italian citizenship?

And so if she loses it, can she regain her Italian citizenship and thus obtain dual citizenship through juri matrimoni?

In other words, if an Italian marries a dual citizen, is there any way they can also obtain US citizenship without losing their Italian?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Sanguinis and matrimoni interaction ?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Are you speaking of a marriage which takes place under current law?

If so, see http://www.usimmigrationlawyers.com/com ... rriage.htm for one discussion of the matter. US citizenship through marriage has not been automatic for many years and requires, at a minimum, three years elapsed between the date of marriage and the application for citizenship.

>> First, am I correct that jure matrimoni is not a naturalization? In other words, the non Italian in the marriage gains dual citizenship, rather than gaining ItaIian while loosing American?

The world has changed greatly in recent decades. Both Italy and the US now permit/tolerate dual citizenship in all cases and, even though the US naturalization process still includes a renunciation of all other citizenships, it is meaningless because Italy (and most other countries, from what I have read) ignores it. The only way to lose one's Italian citizenship today is to pay a euro 200 fee and then make a formal renunciation in the presence of a consular or other Italian government official.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Thanks Carmine..... so essentially, it is possible for an italian to marry a dual citizen, and then after going through the process, also become a dual citizen
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

If Italy doesn't really recognize renunciations for naturaliztion, then why is it so important in the jure sanguinis process?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

rgaetano wrote:If Italy doesn't really recognize renunciations for naturaliztion, then why is it so important in the jure sanguinis process?
Because it was revisions made to Italy's citizenship laws in 1992 that made this type of renunciation moot.

Prior to that date, when you renounced your Italian citizenship as part of gaining US (or other) naturalization, Italy said, "Fine. Good-bye and good riddance!" :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Ah, ok. Now I understand. Thanks