Soda

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
francoalto

Soda

Post by francoalto »

Hi

Does anyone know anything of the last name Soda? My mothers maiden name is Soda and was born and raised in and around Rogliano in Calabria.
It must be a difficult name to google as all i get is references or links to soda pop.

Thank you
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Soda

Post by Seraphina »

Hi, There are only 2 people with the surname Soda listed in the pagine bianche (italian telephone book) for Rogliano.

If you Google pagine bianche, and type Soda in the left-hand box that states "cognome" and Rogliano in "d'ove", you will find them.

Seraphina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The surname is present in small numbers throughout Italy as evidenced by this mapping tool ( http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html ). Enter soda in the Gognome box and lick the arrow.

The current Italian telephone directory lists 114 persons in total. Of course, these are only persons with landline telephones; throughout the world, more and more people are dropping landlines in favor of cellular... See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0

If you would care to share additional information (first names, date or year of birth, etc), we may be able to locate additional information.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

francoalto wrote:...It must be a difficult name to google as all i get is references or links to soda pop...
Hi!
This may help with your google searches

search using a plus sign directly in front of the word(s) you want to search with no space, put a minus sign directly in front of the word you don't want in your results:

+soda -pop
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Soda is not listed in the Italian surname dictionary and is most likely local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized.

The dictionary word closest to your name is SODO meaning solid or firm. In the Italian surname dicitonary the closest is SORA. The possiblity of a spelling error cropping up thru the mists of time comes to mind. Perhaps deep research on your part might demystify the surname. =peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

This site will show you the distribution of the name in Calabria.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
francoalto

Post by francoalto »

With regards to PeterTimbers reply. Do yoiu mean it may not be Italian in origin? I have thought about that. Their doesn't seem to be alot to go around. I did find a coat of arms for the or a Soda Family in England.

this link:

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/q ... -crest.htm

I' m not sure if thw above link is false or not. But I do know as far back as my great grandfather at least it's Italian as far as I know.

I'm wonder if it is not Italian in origin, where do i begin to look?

Thank you again.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Franco just to bring you up to snuff. There are 200+ Soda and its variants listed under ancestor search in the www.familysearch.org reflecting 1700 for Soda in Mangone Calabria, Sweden and Poland at the same time as well as in olther countries of europe. Nothing occurs prior to 1700 but research is yours to do. Try www.findypast.com for name check for Soda (its a paying website) Do the same for Socda at www.worldvitalrecords. There is family crest for CODA (not Soda) listed in www.stemmario.it

Need to locate Soda in Mangone www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/59-mangone
for any pedigree. Try google for SODA SURNAME GENEALOGY CALABRIA ITALY to see if there has been previous or present day research on SODA surname in Calabria. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

francoalto wrote:With regards to PeterTimbers reply. Do yoiu mean it may not be Italian in origin?

My paternal surname appears in 358 Italian comuni spread across every province of the country except Trento on the northern border. There are nearly 900 listings in the current Italian telephone directory, which probably translates into between 3,000 and 6,000 persons. I have traced my family back as far as 1700 and will no doubt go further back when I have the resources to continue the research.

Nevertheless, the surname is not listed in Peter's "Italian surname dictionary." Make of that what you will, but as far as I am concerned, I am Italian through and through. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear carmine OF COURSE! your name is Italian even thoughn it is not listed inthe surname dictionary for Italy. We went thru this some time ago..

Let me repeat ONCE AGAIN the surname dictionary relates to Italian surnames whose origns are pervasive thruout Italy by dint of ancient, history, origin in Italy, mainly derived from Greek, latin, Roman, Church and other historical underpinnings of Italian culture. The Italian surnames that are local in origin while Italian are not listed in the surname dictionarybecause they were not distributed at time of their origination and were based upon anecdotes, characteristics and occupations where they originated and remained fixed and uneventful for centuries.

So Carmine let me reasssure you these local surnames originating in some medieval villages remained there for centuries and are considered Italian to this day despite some migration thruout Italy and migrations to the western Hemisphere. =Peter=
~Peter~
francoalto

Post by francoalto »

The name Soda according to what you have seen or looked up does not appear before the year 1700?

I will try the websites you suggest. Looks like it may be diffiuclt, i should stick to reaserching my last name: Altomare. it seems a bit easier.

Thank you
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Are you just trying to trace the name or are you looking for your Mother's family?
If you are looking for your ancestors we can help you. What was your mother's first name and approximate date of birth? Do you know her parents names?
pinkhilary

Post by pinkhilary »

francoalto wrote:Hi

Does anyone know anything of the last name Soda? My mothers maiden name is Soda and was born and raised in and around Rogliano in Calabria.
It must be a difficult name to google as all i get is references or links to soda pop.

Thank you
My husband is a Soda and we are trying to locate his family- they are from Calabria and Bologna.....he'd love to connect with anyone. Please contact me. hilaryholland2003 on yahoooooooo
JSoda313

Post by JSoda313 »

Hi my name is Jenna Soda and I'm trying to find people in italy with the surname Soda to see if there is any relation. Did any of your mother's family go to america?
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »