Certificati di trascorso

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Certificati di trascorso

Post by sforza »

I saw a reference to this in two posts on this forum from folks seeking dual Italian citizenship who are Canadian citizens. The consulates in those Canadian cities wanted Certificati di trascorso - emigration papers, I believe. Is this a vagary of the Italian consulates in Canada? I would imagine the policies are set in Italy and that the Consular requirements should be consistent across national boundaries. Has anybody submitted these as part of your applications in the US?

I also don't quite understand the concept - would these be granted in the emigrant's place of residence or in the city of departure?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Certificati di trascorso

Post by suanj »

maybe the Consulate ask the "Certificato di trascorso possesso cittadinanza italiana" or "Certificato storico di cittadinanza"..
the same request is made by Italian Consulate in UK for who wish apply for dual citizenship...

this certificate/s stating that at time of emigration your ancestor had the italian citizenship and that no result, in Italy, that he renounced at italian citizenship...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Thanks, suanj. I've requested certified copies of these from my GGF's comune.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

suanj wrote:maybe the Consulate ask the "Certificato di trascorso possesso cittadinanza italiana" or "Certificato storico di cittadinanza"..
the same request is made by Italian Consulate in UK for who wish apply for dual citizenship...

this certificate/s stating that at time of emigration your ancestor had the italian citizenship and that no result, in Italy, that he renounced at italian citizenship...
suanj
Raffaella, I have wondered why all consulates do not demand this document.

If a Greek couple were living in southern Italy in the early 1900's and had a baby there, would the baby's Italian birth certificate indicate that the child was not a citizen?

If I requested a copy of the Italian birth certificate from the comune, would it clearly indicate that the child's parents were Greek and the child was not an Italian citizen?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
suanj wrote:maybe the Consulate ask the "Certificato di trascorso possesso cittadinanza italiana" or "Certificato storico di cittadinanza"..

suanj
Raffaella, I have wondered why all consulates do not demand this document.
I know not why not all consulates requiring this document
If a Greek couple were living in southern Italy in the early 1900's and had a baby there, would the baby's Italian birth certificate indicate that the child was not a citizen?

for what I know:
- in Italy a baby receive the citizenship by parents; so if the parents are greek citizens the child is also greek; so he is not italian citizen also if born in Italy from greek parents; that by foreign jus sanguinis…
-instead the “jus soliâ€

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

suanj wrote:No, in the birth certificate is no clearly indicate the baby or/and parent’s citizenship… For the citizenship statement is necessary the citizenship certificate
This is why I am very surprised that only a few consulates in the US request the Certificato di Trascorso Possesso Cittadinanza Italiana.

The Certificato di Nascita only proves that the person was born in Italy; it does not prove that he or she was an Italian citizen.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes because it is a birth certificate... no a citizenship certificate

but normally, having a italian surname, it is normal thinking that the baby it is also a italian citizen..

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ron8ta

Post by ron8ta »

Hello. I don't know which consulate you are applying at, but I applied in Toronto. They require either "Certificato di trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italiana" OR a valid/expired Italian passport from the Italian relation. I used my grandmother's expired Italian passport, so I did not need that certificate. I hope that helps.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

My mother is applying in Newark, NJ. I've ordered certificato from my GGF's comune in Italy. I figure, better to have too much documentation than too little.