Questions about applying citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ron8ta

Questions about applying citizenship

Post by ron8ta »

My sisters, my father and I applied for Italian citizenship last August at the consulate in Toronto. The lady who helped us said we met all of the requirements and had all of the correct documents, however my grandfather's first and middle name were reversed on my father's birth certificate for some reason. She accepted our application anyway and said it should not be a problem. I contacted the consulate a few months after we applied and they said our application didn't come through yet, but it has now been a full year and we haven't heard anything. I am wondering if maybe my father's birth certificate was a problem. If our application was rejected because of this, will we still be contacted? And if it is rejected and we get my father's birth certificate fixed, can we apply again? And what is the average amount of time it takes for citizenship to be processed? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Questions about applying citizenship

Post by mler »

You may want to contact the consulate again and ask them that question. My own documents were languishing at the consulate, and I submitted amended documents almost a year after my initial application. You can always do so if amendments are needed.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

I second Mler on keeping in contact with the consulate. I've applied in Vancouver and from time to time contact the citizenship office, addressing the woman who took my documents in the first place, and each time I've gotten a nice reply advising patience. (My documents are now in San Francisco awaiting 'verification'.) I can't imagine they would fail to notify you of any problems. And at worse, if they had trouble with the names, they'd ask you to get it fixed, not reject you outright. My guess is that you're just in the queue. Like many of us.

Good luck,
Jerry
VittorioE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VittorioE »

What does it mean when they send documents to another consulate for Verification?!

Do they send to the consulate where your vital records are from (ie birth certificates, Marriage licenses, etc.) ?! Mine come from a couple different states so I wonder if that will slow my application down?

Do you know?
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Yes, that's my understanding. With all the fraud going on, consulates rely on their colleagues in the state/country where the documents originate to verify their authenticity. And yes, that does slow the process, though the delay depends on the consulate. I've seen reports in this forum where the process was remarkably quick. In my own experience, the SF consulate received my documents for verification in January, and they are sitting there still. The process is what it is, and it'll happen when it happens.
Italypast

Post by Italypast »

I am also looking into applying for dual citizenship. My great-great-grandfather added an "a" the end of his surname and this was passed down through the generations. Does anyone know if I would just have to get records with him on them amended or would the surname need to be amended for every person in the line that has used it?