Meaning & Pronunciation of "Miraglia"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
iSellJerseyShore

Meaning & Pronunciation of "Miraglia"

Post by iSellJerseyShore »

I am trying to find out what the meaning of my lastname is "Miraglia" and what the correct pronunciation of it is... I believe it is being said correctly but just wanted to double check with some Italians since I am not from Italy (USA)...

Thanks!
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Meaning & Pronunciation of "Miraglia"

Post by ptimber »

Miraglia does not appear in the italian surname dictionary nor does it appear in the italian word dictionary consequently it can best be described as a local surname whose meaning is lost to me. The pronunciation is, as you might, expect (phonetic N.J.) MIH-RAHL-YAH. Peter
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

On Ancestry.com I found a page about the Miraglia surname and it states that the name is “Southern Italian: from the Old Sicilian title miraglia di mari ‘admiral’. The Italian word for admiral is ammiraglio.
The link is http://www.ancestry.com/search/SurnameP ... code=13304

FWIW, there is a reference to Miraglia on the list of Giuseppe Garibaldi’s volunteers. One of Garibaldi’s men was born in Miraglia. I did not find this town on any of my map resources so it could be a small village or perhaps with the passing of time it was incorporated with another village.

I hope this is of some help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are about 1500 references to people surnamed Miraglia but there is no definition of the name nor its source.if there is perhaps a more knowledgeable person can devote the time to researching the surname source. Peter
vmiragli

Post by vmiragli »

I have been doing Miraglia genealogy for a while now. I found that the name Miraglia could have come from admiral or from mirage a person who worked on making mirrors. I think it is from admiral!
You can check out my family page at http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/us ... .html#edit
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
the surname Miraglia, common in southern Italy and particularly in Sicily, is derivated from the arcaic word "miraglio" = mirror . It is possible that this surname was given to the man who worked the mirrors .

i hope this help you.

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).