Biagio PERRICONE from Italy to Brooklyn

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Biagio PERRICONE from Italy to Brooklyn

Post by rjrdomer »

I am seeking any information regarding an ancestor my g-g grandfather, mainly where he came from in Italy. His name is Biagio (Biogio in boat record) Perricone.

He landed in New York on May 2, 1896 when he was 16 aboard the Braunschweig which left Naples. The particular ship manifest I found does not have a town of origin for him or any of the passengers, as far as I can tell.

He resided in Brooklyn, NY from 1901 onward. He married Maria Cusenza in May 1901, and had 3 kids: Maria (Mary), Joseph, and John. He died in 1913 of a heart attack in Brooklyn, NY.

His parents on the death certificate were listed as Giuseppe Perricone and Maria Rotolo.

I'd like to learn where in Italy he came from. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to find out since the boat record does not say? Thanks.

rjrusso2@gmail.com
Robert Russo
vj
Master
Master

Re: Biagio PERRICONE from Italy to Brooklyn

Post by vj »

Hi Robert, that's a tough one.
Have you checked to see if Rosa (on the line above Biagio) is related?
Perhaps one of her US records will have a place of birth?
Valarie
for reference
1896 manifest (from ancestry, mis-linked at Ellis)
http://a.imageshack.us/img180/1976/1896.jpg
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Thanks for the reply. I looked into Rosa Perricone and couldn't find anything that looked like a match beyond this boat record. It says she's married while Biagio was single so it is not a spouse. It's either his sister traveling under her maiden name or a sister-in-law married to his brother. I do not know for certain if he had any siblings since he died so young...not much oral family history on him.

His son John died at age 12, his son Joseph had 1 son who died in 1984 and childless so the line pretty much stops. His daughter Mary is my g-grandmother and no one from my family knows much beyond me.

I know in 1901 his marriage certificate said he lived at 332 Gates Avenue in Brooklyn but I cannot find him in the 1900 census, although he was in NY. I was hoping that would maybe lead to other relatives/friends he lived with from the same village.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum. :)

I was wondering if you have the death certificate. I believe I have the microfilm with Brooklyn deaths for that year. Frequently, the death certificate will give the place of birth, depending upon how much info the witness can provide to the doctor/coroner, etc. If I can be of any help, please let me know.
Also, I looked at Ellis Island to see the manifest. It seems the index number does not coincide with the document to which it refers. I could not find the original manifest. :?
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Another thought I just had: Do you think Biagio would have naturalization papers anywhere? I couldn't seem to find anything but may not be looking in the right place.

I have his marriage cert and death cert and they just say location of birth was Italy.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you for finding it Valerie. :)
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Jim, thanks for the reply. I do have the death certificate. I obtained it from NYC archives. It's certificate #8447, date of death April 20, 1913. Kings County. Age 32. It says place of birth was simply Italy. That's also how I got his parents' names.