Italian Church Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kangaroo_ch
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Church Records

Post by kangaroo_ch »

I have come to a dead end in the search for more information of my greatgreat grandfather Placido Giovanni Martino Dacomo born 1856 in Bee, VB I have written to the comune but they told me that they have no records of him because he was born before 1866. However i know for a fact that his marriage in France 1884 and the birth of his children where also recorded in Bee. Around 1900 he lived in Switzerland. What i'm really looking for is his death certificate. If he died outside of Italy then his death would have been recorded in Bee.
What are the chances to get information from the local church in Bee? Is it worth it to write to them?
Regards
Anton
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Italian Church Records

Post by Italysearcher »

If he died outside Italy then I doubt the church would have recorded anything.
The same with the Comune. If the town where he died bothered to notify his town of birth, it would be recorded, otherwise it wouldn't. If he died outside Italy then it would be someone's responsibility to report the death to the Italian consulate who would then notify the Comune. Your problem is that without a birth record to make the notation on, the death record would just have been filed and I suspect they don't want to do a search to find it.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The Swiss telephone directory lists 11 Dacomo's centered around the area of Bern. See http://tel.local.ch/en/q/dacomo.html#x1 ... &y2=292999

You might try contacting some or all of these Dacomo's to see if they are related to Placido.

Also, it appears that death certificates in Switzerland are filed at the local level as they are in Italy. Worthwhile to write to some of the towns with current Dacomo's and request Placido's death certificate? I don't know...

See http://www.ch.ch/private/00029/00037/index.html?lang=en
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
kangaroo_ch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kangaroo_ch »

Thank you all for the information. All the 11 Dacomo's listed in Switzerland are related to me, however none of them have any information on the past. Well i have written to some possible relations in Italy, comunes and churches. Hopefully i'll get some answers.
Regards
Anton