NYC Appointment: Mother before self?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

NYC Appointment: Mother before self?

Post by JavaisLife »

I just called the NYC - to double check about my appointment beg. of Sept.

I was told by the consulate that my mother has to apply BEFORE me. My appointment was originally booked as a family of 2 - but I would be applying (self and mother). Just now they said they wanted only my mom - not me?

So immediately I called the phone line where I originally booked my appointment. They said that they changed this rule this past year (after I made my appointment). They said since the rule changed after I made my appointment. They told me to go w/ my mom - and if I have problems I could call them back from the consulate during my appointment. This is starting to sound seriously F'ed.

Thoughts on this?

Seriously heart attack here - - I don't have a second appointment set for myself. ... I don't have a second set a papers for myself.

M
mler
Master
Master

Re: NYC Appointment: Mother before self?

Post by mler »

They will accept both applications at the same time. Don't worry about it. There is no law in Italy that requires your mom to apply before you. The people who make the appointments have no (or limited) knowledge of citizenship law.

BTW, if the interviewer refuses to take your application (which I seriously doubt will happen) ask him to show you where in the law it states that a living ascendent MUST apply in order for a descendent to be eligible.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

"BTW, if the interviewer refuses to take your application (which I seriously doubt will happen) ask him to show you where in the law it states that a living ascendent MUST apply in order for a descendent to be eligible"

Can I have that translated into Italian :)

Question: I have one binder w/ all of my documents - to be used for both my mom and myself.

I have a 2nd copy of my mother/father (birth), marriage and my own birth - if need be for a 2nd set of documents. Would this be necessary?

What is the best way for my mother and I to apply at the same appointment?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

My son and I applied together in NY (albeit four years ago). Don't worry about translating your questions into English. They speak English very well.

I arranged our documents in sequential order with separate folders for each person in the line of ascent (GF, F, me, son). To each apostilled document, I paperclipped the translation and one copy. (I kept additional copies in a separate folder in case they were needed.) I also printed a summary sheet for each folder listing the documents included PLUS a master summary sheet of all documents and dates that clearly showed the line of descent.

My son and I used the same document set. His bc was the only additional document needed for his application.

Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Thank you for Such a Quick Response ... I have one more question. Do you know how I can get a letter from The commune Apice, that my ggf is The only man by that Name born on that day??

Best,
Marie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I think New York's system of late is to have the parent (if living and if wanting to) apply. Only.

Then, when/if parent's application is approved, it is a simple matter for the parent to register the birth of his/her child(ren). Takes just a few minutes/days to process; no appointment necessary.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Okay- as long as I do not have to' wait a year ... Im The one Who did The leg work... :)
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

I made an appointment for both me and my father (back to back). Do you think this will be a problem (in NY)?

I've done most of the research and work getting the documents so I really want to be there for the process (and also uncase there is a misunderstanding or an issue, I feel I would be best to deal with it since I have done all the research not just in genealogy but also for the jure sanguinis process)

The 3rd party appointment service said nothing about how my father should do it first (in fact, I think they even made my appointment before my father's). I figure if we just show up as scheduled, then that's that. thoughts?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You have an appointment for both you and your father so by all means go with him. If they refuse to take your application, so be it. I still believe they will take your application and birth certificate. Ultimately, it saves them extra work.

Do let us know, however, how it goes. Your experience will be helpful to others.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

i will definitely let the board know how it goes, it is not until May 2011 though