Agnello/ LaBarbera

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Agnello/ LaBarbera

Post by nagnello »

Hi, I need help looking for Antonino Agnello. He lived in Chicago 1887-1923, married to Nella LaBarbera. Came to America about 1887-1888 with 3 children, Jenny, Mary, and Thomas. They had my grandfather Sam Agnello in 1899 in Chicago. I have conflicting dates for immigration for Antonino, Nella and Jenny, who I believe has a first name of Vincenza. I don't have any records for immigration for Mary; AKA Sadie, or Thomas. I am not positive on maiden name of Nella, the family says its LaBarbera and that they are from the town of Vicari in Sicily. I believe they were married around 1877. To make things more confusing the family used the name Angelo from 1900-1910 census and then used Tony Agnello in 1920. I also cannot find death certificates for Nella or Anthony in Chicago even though I have death dates. Also heard that Thomas died as a teenager in a hunting accident(?) in Chicago between 1900-1910. No records of his death. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Nina
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: Agnello/ LaBarbera

Post by lilbees »

Just wondering. Did you have Cook County seaarch for your records or were you doing it yourself from online listings?

I ask because the online listings are incomplete. I have sent for many records from cook county and it really took some time. I learned what I needed was stored in one of the many warehouses they use for storage of records.

In fact in some instances I had to make some requests several times. The records were eventually found. I will say, I made many calls during the process to Cook County vital Records although they are inclined to not answer the phone. I also learned if a request is made online you do not have a tracking number for the request. If you take the time to go in you will receive a tracking number for your request. You can make a call then and the operator/receptionist will put you with the person who tracks the requests. It does tend to push them a bit to find what you need.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I just went to the Pilot Family Search site and found a ton of Agnellos.

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... tml#p=home

Just put in the last name Agnello, then put in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States.

You will see all you are looking for.

To add: I also put in Angelo and came up with a bunch of what you are looking for.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I know by genealogic tree on ancestry.com that Tony Agnello died the 2 March 1923, but searching in Illinois database I cannot find the record; instead I found a
AQUELLO(*) TONY M/W UNK Cert # 6005687
Death Date 1925-02-26 COOK CHICAGO
Date Filed 25-02-26

(* AGNELLO)

It could be this record abt your Antonino???
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Suanj :D is correct :!:

Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947 for Antonino Aquello
Name Antonino Aquello
Titles and Terms (original)
Death Date 27 Feb 1923
Death Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Gender Male
Marital Status
Race or Color
Age 74
Estimated Birth Year 1849
Birth Date 1849
Birthplace Italy
Father Gaelano Aguello
Father's Titles and Terms (original)
Father's Birth Place Italy
Mother Vincinza Aletta
Mother's Titles and Terms (original)
Mother's Birth Place Italy
Occupation retired farmer
Residence
Street Address
Spouse Nella Aquello
Spouse's Titles and Terms (original)
Spouse's Birthplace
Burial Date 02 Mar 1923
Burial Place Mt. Carmel
Cemetery
Informant
Additional Relatives
Digital Folder Number 4205913
Image Number 1442
Film Number 1877165
Volume/Page/Certificate Number rn 6349

Great find Suanj!!!

Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Thank Laura; on Illinois database http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/idphdeathsrch.html

the death year is 1925 and in effects I thinked that was a bad transcription ...
I believe also that Antonino really was born around 1847 because the only that I found arrived in USA the 4 jun 1888 Alsatia ship; I believe that the wife and children arrived after Antonino:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8424 ... tiashi.jpg
maybe helpful,
suanj

the birthplace could be Vicari( Palermo, IT)...

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Suanj wrote:the birthplace could be Vicari( Palermo, IT)...
I agree with you Suanj, This is a 1900 arrival manifest for a Franco Agnello, from Vicari going to Chicago to meet his brother Antonio Agnello living on Milton avenue (on 1900 census Antonino Agnello was living on 82 Milton Avenue)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

it is great Laura....! Nina can find any genealogy records by LDS microfilms of civil records abt Vicari:
Registri dello stato civile di Vicari (Palermo), 1820-1910 Vicari (Palermo). Ufficio dello stato civile
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ++di++Vica &columns=*,0,0
all the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nagnello »

Great information! Thanks, I found Antonino under Aquello, I tried every spelling but that. Still can't find Nella's death certificate. I know she died June 9, 1955 in Chicago. I will ask for a records check as suggested. This is a great find and I thank everyone for all your great advice and help. Nina