name discrepancy NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

name discrepancy NYC

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Does anyone have the contact information for kennith cobb at the NYC municipal archives?

I am applying through my GGF and his birth and death certificate do not match because his americanized name was used on his death certificate. Felix instead of his birth name which is Felice. he was born in 1916 and died not to long ago. Does anyone know what should do? his mother was filomena and the death certificate was spelled Philomena she died in 1960. someone please offer advice and give any contacts you can.
thanks,
Dave
mler
Master
Master

Re: name discrepancy NYC

Post by mler »

I would venture to say that a discrepancy involving an Americanized name on the death certificate should not be a major problem if everything else corresponds--birth date, parents' names, etc. It is my understanding, however, that death certificates can be corrected if the request is made by the funeral director. Since your ggf died recently, you may be able to contact him.

I'm guessing that your greatgreatgrandmother is not in the direct line so it is even less of an issue. In any case, the 'ph' instead of an 'f' is not even worth the time and effort that such a change would involve. They will only look at the non-Italian line if it is necessary to clarify an issue, and the death certificate is the least important of all the documents you will present.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Thanks for the advice! I'm getting such mixed information from all over . Have you heard of similar cases and I will comtactthe funeral director but then I needto change the marriage certificate for him?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Also, death certificates really have nothing to do with citizenship jus sanguinis and it is not clear why the consulates even request them. Best guess is proving an ancestor is deceased eliminates the need to have that ancestor personally complete and sign a "Declaration of Living Italian Ascendant" - Form 3 at the bottom of this NY consulate web page http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/exe ... =Published
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Kenneth Cobb responded to my follow-up query from archives@records.nyc.gov if you still want to contact him.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

thanks so much ! I dont even know what to ask from him :?

~~ Dave