Translating question...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Translating question...

Post by SChiarini »

Does anyone know if the letters of exemplification have to be translated? also what about the death certificates?

thanks kindly :)

Steph
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Translating question...

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Translation rules vary tremendously by consulate; also, they are generally required only for the applicant's own (plus spouse and children if applicable) birth and marriage certificates - not for ancestor's documents.

Which consulate are you using?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

I'm going through the NY consulate...

not sure what the letter of exe. is used for but on the website it was required?
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

NYC (not sure about NY state documents) requires a letter of exemplification in order to get an apostille on the document (e.g. birth certificate). Basically, it's just a letter from the vital statistics office stating that the birth certificate is a true birth certificate. I know that NYC birth certificates have letters of exemplification for apostilles but I'm not sure about other NY documents. I have 1 NYC marriage certificate. When I ordered it, I told them that I needed to get an apostille, but they did not give me a letter of exe. They told me I would get the letter of exe when I get the apostille. I'm going to try to get the apostille this week so we'll see what happens.
From what I have heard from others the letter of exemplification does not need to be translated.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The letter of exemplification does not need to be translated. If I recall correctly, the marriage certificate was the only document that did not require a letter of exemplification. The clerk notarized it without the letter, and it was ok for the apostille.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

thank you for your feedback :)