Devote/o surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mothball

Devote/o surname

Post by mothball »

Devote from Genova.

Hello all

I have been researching this name for years now and am nowhere near knowing when exactly and where they originally came from.

There are many Devote families in the UK, though their tendency to have female children is making the name quite rare.

My gran said they were from Genoa and just recently in the 1911 census a Devote family who my gran said they used to visit, put on the form they were from “The County of Genoaâ€
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Devote/o surname

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There are no listings in the current Italian telephone directory under Devote, and 288 listings for Devoto. We take this as a good indication that the "e" spelling does not exist in modern Italy and possibly never did. See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0

This mapping tool, http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html , gves a good indication of where the name is prevalant and Genova/Genoa certainly does seem to be the sweet spot for Devoto's.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Also, for Jacob, you may want to be researching "Giacobbe"; for Andrew, "Andrea"; and for John, "Giovanni".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mothball

Post by mothball »

Thanks both, I notice there are 91 towns where there are Devotos!!

I mentioned the Campodonico link, as they were lodging with the Devotes in 1861, then they might have come from the same place.

Can you tell me how to research a specific town/area, Sorry to be demanding. Have never understood the Italian way to research other than you have to have good knowledge of where they came from.

Thanks Steven
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

I found the following names and dates:

Jacob, 1830-1904 Pembroke
Andrew, 1836-1908 Wincanton

Is this your Family?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

The marriage between William Frederick Barni and Mary Devote in Bristol. Was this your family, and was Mary born in Manchester or Merthyr Tydfil?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

[quote="mothball"]My gran said they were from Genoa and just recently in the 1911 census a Devote family who my gran said they used to visit, put on the form they were from “The County of Genoaâ€
Carmine

boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

Post by boozy.bird »

Hi mothball
Please email me via my website so I can forward you info on the Devoti/e/o families in Yorkshire & Lincolnshire. For website go to http://www.west-bar-italians.co.uk or just google west bar italians.
regardsl
mothball

Post by mothball »

Thanks for all the replies, I hadn't been notified, so didn't think there were any messages, so sorry.

Yes, my Jacob was c1820 to 1904, he was the original from Italy. Andrew, no don't think so, he didn't seem to have children. His father was Andrew too.

Mary was his first child born 1841 Conway, North Wales. Her brother also married a Barni. The Barni family settled in Bristol, by the info we have it looks that Jacob arrived here at same time as Barni head (Luigi Barin c1821 ) at about 1839. Luigi married in 1842 but unable to find first marriage of Jacob Devote.

Thanks so much for links, will see if I can adjust settings

Steven
mothball

Post by mothball »

boozy.bird wrote:Hi mothball
Please email me via my website so I can forward you info on the Devoti/e/o families in Yorkshire & Lincolnshire. For website go to http://www.west-bar-italians.co.uk or just google west bar italians.
regardsl
Thanks for this I can't seem to find a way to message you on the website.

Thanks. Steven. I have some Census returns with Italians in Manchester too.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Just wanted to point out, the Jacob i found who died in Pembroke was born in 1830!
There was a Giovanni Campodonico who married in Bristol, 1840.
My Capaldi family lodged with a Campodonico family in Birmingham too.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Also a Filomena Campodonico married a Giuseppe Sala in Birmingham.
After Bristol and Birmingham the Campodonico Families settled around Leicester area!
mothball

Post by mothball »

What proof have you of his age, if it's the 1861 census the ages are all jumbled up. The other censuses and marriage cert put his age at 1820.

The Campodonicos who lodged stayed in Pembroke and are still there today. Marriages are in BMD of course spelt all sorts of different ways, the first thing they did was loose the 'o' which it seems most common.
mothball

Post by mothball »

jamiecapaldi wrote:Also a Filomena Campodonico married a Giuseppe Sala in Birmingham.
After Bristol and Birmingham the Campodonico Families settled around Leicester area!
If you want to find more Campodonic/os in Pembroke the transcriptions are usually spelt Compodonic. Untill the 1911 Census where they get it right, but still without the 'o'.
mothball

Post by mothball »

jamiecapaldi wrote:Just wanted to point out, the Jacob i found who died in Pembroke was born in 1830!
There was a Giovanni Campodonico who married in Bristol, 1840.
My Capaldi family lodged with a Campodonico family in Birmingham too.
Oh I get it, his death cert, it's wrong! It also says he was a farmer, very very far from reality. He is 81 on the 1901 census.